DVX100p blow up to film official response at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 9th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

I'm not sure if this goes here...

This is an E-mail that I received from The Digital Film Group (http://www.digitalfilmgroup.com/) in regards to my question about the JVC HD Camera (in regards to if 30p would have problems blowing up to 35mm.) There is also valuable information about other cams in regards to transferring DV to 35mm Film in this E-mail also. Check it out:

Hi Glenn,
Yes, that is the problem with the JVC HD camera. It's not that the 30P cannot be converted to 24, but the motion will not be very good. If you want great image quality and are willing to spend your dollars on renting rather than owning, the next best option for you is going up to a 2/3" CCD and preferably a "true progressive" shooting mode from one of the newer Panasonic cameras (the SDX900 - soon to be released will shoot in 24P like the DVX100) or the newer SONY Disk based recording cameras coming out in the fall (the PDW 510). Otherwise, Sony has a strange and little known camera that shoots in 25P at 720x576 PAL resolution onto a tape format called IMX. A Sundance film called "The Technical Writer" was shot with this camera and it looked amazing. You will have to live with a speed change of course when you project and the sound will have to be stretched in order to match it later by a little more than 4%, but otherwise, it's an amazing camera for the comparatively low rental cost.

That said, the DVX100p is a great camera and in my opinion after having done a lot of tests of film out so far with it, I think it exceeds the image quality of the Canon XL1 and PD150, and any other non-progressive 1/3" CCD camera in its class. However, does that mean it will outperform the image quality of the DSR500 after a great 60i or 50i conversion to 24P or 25P? No, probably not. The advantage of the 2/3" CCD shooting native 16:9 without any cropping loss exceeds the advantages of the progressive capture in these instances.

I hope this is helpful, and please keep in touch as you get closer to shooting. I am available for further consultation on these and other subjects of pre and post production issues at a negotiable fee of which a portion of can be credited back to you should you decide to use DFG in the end for your blow up. In the meantime, good luck with your choices and your production.

James D. Tocher
Digital Film Group
316 East 1st Ave., 2nd Floor
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 1A9 CANADA
Tel: 604-879-5800
Fax: 604-879-5811
Email: -----
Web: www.digitalfilmgroup.com
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I have renamed the thread for you to better reflect its content.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 03:59 AM   #3
Panasonic Broadcast

SDX900 is shipping

Glenn,

The good news is that the AJ-SDX900 has started to ship. In your area Abel Cine Tech in Staten Island would be an excellent source for rental or purchase. Saw a film out done in LA from some work done on this camera by a customer of theirs and it was beautiful.

Call them and make an appoinment to see the camera. You can find them at www.abelcine.com.

Best regards,

Jan
Jan Crittenden Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I will check it out, thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production