DIY backdrop support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY backdrop support

Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this, but I'm looking for suggestions for a DIY (do it yourself) way of making something like this: http://www.pclightingsystems.com/bd/4145-H.html

Any suggestions?
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Major Player

That seems reasonably priced.Just wondering.Why bother making it?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have to agree, that is very reasonable. In fact I just bookmarked the page and may get one.

About the only material you can put together yourself without a lot of machining and such is PVC and it is too flexible. You can not use PVC.

Thanks for the link and my suggestion would be to buy that unit or one like it. Even has a case and shipping is free. Hum, think I'm going back right now!

Mike
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Geez, Lloyd..................

Why do you guys have to keep posting these links?

My Christmas list for this year is already 3 fet long and now you've made me add another foot onto it.

Think I''ll have a word with CH and see if we can get this practice banned, you're gonna bankrupt me! :)

(Thanks!).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Why do you guys have to keep posting these links?

My Christmas list for this year is already 3 fet long and now you've made me add another foot onto it.

Think I''ll have a word with CH and see if we can get this practice banned, you're gonna bankrupt me! :)

(Thanks!).

CS
I completely agree! We have to stop this in its tracks!!!!

Oh, I did order one of these! I will report on what it is like when it arrives. I got kind of concerned about the description and its name. It is supposed to be a 12' x 12' system, but its name is listed as 10x24 BACKDROP SUPPORT SYSTEM. Kind of strange!

I report when it arrives, but it sounds like a very good little system. So just call me a guinea pig!

Mike
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey.........

You're a guinea pig. Enjoy!

Still think the entire practice should be banned!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike:

I would be very interested in what you think-or the manufacturer documents- the max load for this would be. I would love to use it to hang a small light( think hair light) or maybe 3-4 mics from.

Looking forward to your review.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi All,

Sorry not to have replied earlier, but I did receive the back-drop about 10 days ago.

Looks just fine to me and I don't want to try and build one as well for the same money.

The stands are like lite weight light stands and the legs extend about 20" out from the center. They do extend about 12' high and collapse to about 42". The cross bar comes in two sections, each about 42" unextended. They attach to each other with a split aluminum wedge which is tightened with a Allen wrench. This is a very good way to attach them together, as there is little or no sag at the center where is usually happens. Each section extends to give an overall length of about 12 feet. It comes in a nice little carrying case and the whole unit weights 17 lbs..

I don't see any problems using it with some small lights or mics. At that height and extension though, I would use a sandbag or two at almost anytime.

The top attachment for the cross-bar has positions for three bars, but I was never able to find where to get the extra bars. You would probably have to contact the company directly.

Thanks for the link and I'm sorry to be late with this report.

Mike
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the report Mike!
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Allen View Post
Thanks for the report Mike!
You're welcome. I did forget to add that it comes with 6 clamps to hold your backdrop steady.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production