35 mm adapter or not - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wong View Post
Lots of movies and TV shows use DOF techniques subtley for this very reason (just watch an episode of ER).
Subtle being the operative word here.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #32
Wrangler

FYI, All of the interiors on ER are shot at a T4. Years ago there was an "experiment" where they knocked down every light on stage and shot at a T2.8 to make the look shallower, but just that one stop of difference meant a lot more focus issues so they went back to a T4 and that's where it stays.

Regarding Chris' notes about using adaptors for 48hr films, I used to do these with my old company Instant Films (similar competition to the 48 Hr project). I used the Mini35 adaptor a couple of times and was happy with the results but it was indeed a struggle in terms of working speed and amount of light needed. I shot a lot with the Mini35 for a few years there but very rarely "forced" the depth of field by making it noticeable, I just liked being able to subtly throw out the background.

One such film can be seen here. The first few shots were specifically shallow to make the credits pop but after that I think you will agree that it is pretty subtle. All the scenes at the blonde girl's apartment were shot at night with a pretty minimal light kit to make it day--much harder to pull off than without the adaptor.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hi Charles,

And you play a mean sax...

My best,

Mike
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
FYI, All of the interiors on ER are shot at a T4. Years ago there was an "experiment" where they knocked down every light on stage and shot at a T2.8 to make the look shallower, but just that one stop of difference meant a lot more focus issues so they went back to a T4 and that's where it stays.
How does F4 on 35mm compares to 1/3", 1/2" and even 2/3" wide open?

Edit: Answered my own questions, using the Panasonic Lumix FX35 as an example of 1/2" camera... Online Depth of Field Calculator

Last edited by Pietro Impagliazzo; August 29th, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Pietro Impagliazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gunter View Post
Hi Charles,

And you play a mean sax...

My best,

Mike
Okay, that one threw me--I haven't watched the film all the way through in a few years.

Of all the weird ideas I've had making films in 48 hours, thinking it would be "fun" to lay down a sax solo while we were in the final hours of editing was probably not one of the best. Talk about a left brain/right brain switcheroo. I had the composer set up a makeshift recording studio in the bathroom adjacent to my office where we were feverishly cutting/color correcting etc. and I could not have been less in the mood to make music with that time pressure, lack of sleep etc.

anyway, thanks...!
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Okay, that one threw me--I haven't watched the film all the way through in a few years.
anyway, thanks...!
Ah, the burden of an attentive audience...

You're most welcome, and please pass to everyone a job well done. Especially Greg Malins - "leg cancer" - was really clever - it was a nice script, and it was nicely done by all.

My best for all and have a great weekend.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production