Non DV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 21st, 2003, 06:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Non DV cameras

We try to get our DV film looking like cinema footage, but what non DV cameras get this look? What do (or did) film makers use at the moment. Is it 8mm or 16mm or 35mm?
I'm interested in maybe purchasing a second hand cinema camera to work with. I know the problem would be to get the footage onto my PC however.
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM   #2
Major Player

If you're editing on a PC, it'll be much more cost effective to buy a DV camera.

With traditional film stock, you'd have to buy multiple reels of stock, shoot it as best you can, then pay some company to digitize it for you (pray they did a good job :) ). From there you'd do your editing, and then what? Transfer it back to film stock?

Studios use 35mm. Low budget folk use 8mm or 16mm, but I've never bothered getting into it. It's quite costly compared to DV. I'm not sure how used 8mm or 16mm cameras hold up in price vs. DV cams.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production