videos showing "film making" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
New Boot

videos showing "film making"

I have never really seen an actual professional film being made (except for those great "extras" you get on DVDs), and was wondering if there were any videos available which do a good job of showing that? Camera shots on dollies, cranes, lighting, microphone placement, etc?
...or, any feature films on DVD where there are exceptional "making of" extras that do a great job of showing this...

Thanks in advance.

ps, no I'm not the author or I wouldn't be asking this question ;)
Stephen King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You've got two choices. Keep culling for 'bts' - behind the scenes - footage off of DVD discs, or simply buy "How To" videos. Plenty of good instructional videos on lighting, camera work, etc.

I guess as a third course, you could simply watch 'movie movies' - movies whose PLOT is about moviemaking - Think "The Player", or "State and Main" for instance.

There are numerous documentaries about making particular films as well, which are basiclly extended 'bts' sorts of films. Hell, the behind the scenes documentaries on the Lord of the Rings is ... what, something like four or five hours worth?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production