Please critique a cinematic newbie's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Please critique a cinematic newbie's

I'd appreciate constructive feedback on my technique in this short lead-in as I try to make my family videos interesting by trying to give them a cinematic feel. I'm stretching myself to learn the manual controls of my XH-A1 using common subjects I have around the house to prepare for when I'm surrounded by better scenery.

Winds of Mackenzie on Vimeo

I shot in HDV 60i then converted to 720 x 24P wmv for uploading to Vimeo. I'm using Vegas Pro 8 for all editing and processing.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Trustee

I think that is a great exercise in documentary shooting. I even find myself sometimes thinking, "there's nothing to shoot around here", so a little perspective adjustment is always helpful. I didn't find anything wrong with the video except for the beginning where I think the encoding in vimeo had a glitch. It skips to about 8 seconds and only white plays for a few seconds before the music starts. I liked the fast shutter with the hummingbird. It gave the impression that it's wings are in three different places at one time.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for taking the time Marcus. I know it's difficult to tell much from a 1:30 clip on such limited subjects! Thanks for not trashing the humming birds; I know they it really don't fit the piece, but it was good practice with the camera.

Any thoughts on pace, matching transitions with music, color & saturation levels? On the opening scene I focused on the clouds instead of the windmill. Good Idea or should I have changed focus to the wheel right after the sky and clouds came to life (closed aperature to expose sky color)?

I want to get some of the basic techniques right before I let something "real" get away.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production