shoot progressive or deinterlace in post? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #16
New Boot

Guys, sorry for opening up and old thread but it's discussing an issue I have now and I'd really appreciate some expert help and it looks like you are all on top of it.

Gary - particularly interested in your experience.

I'm in PAL land shooting 1080/25p on the HVR-Z7p. I'm editing on PP CS4. I'm facing this exact dilemma due to having to make a decision about the BMD Intensity. We are about to go into principal photography for a doco in Thailand and we would like to shoot using the Nanoflash @ 35mbps 422 to give ourselves some more quality. Now we will be coming off the HDMI and rather than ingest over HDMI using an Intensity card, we will transfer via CF card but we want to use the Intensity to monitor and playout in PP timeline, etc. We would probably also use the MainConcept HD 4 codec for this work.

Bare with me..

Problem is, BMD does not support 1080/25p. I realise that this is an old topic. Sorry. According to BMD 25p is an 'edge case' format and they advise to shoot 1080/50i. What I am really struggling to understand is that if I want to make a creative choice to shoot progressive (for the reason you all have mentioned above), why would I shoot interlaced when the entire post industry here is Australia is geared for 25p? Am I missing something?

Does this mean I have to just say sorry BMD and look to AJA or MOTU to provide the solution or have I really, really misunderstood this?

Anyone's would be greatly appreciated.
Cameron Smeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
I hear you Ben. I too have been experimenting with deinterlacing techniques in different areas of the workflow chain. I too have an fx1. I love the deinterlaced look as opposed to straight interlaced video fields but sometimes the picture gets way to soft and looses detail. I've used the cineframe option on the camera but i get too much judder. I shoot in dv pal since that's what i master in. I'm interested to know how you get your deinterlacing done. Do you use your NLE or any other third party plug-in? When do you deinterace? Before applying any color correction or once all post is done? I think it'll all make a difference in the final result. I'm using both premiere and vegas to edit my work and both have very different ways to deinterlace. Of course, this question is open to everyone and i'd love all the help i can get :)
I have an FX1 and de-interlace by interpreting footage in After Effects. I've read it's a very good method of de-interlacing, but all I know is that the fields are too disturbing for me to look at and they have got to go.
I use Final Cut to edit, so it is a pain to de-interlace in AE, unless the video is heavy with special effects. But recently I have tried changing the sequence settings in Final Cut so that feilds are set to "none" instead of "upper". That actually seems to effectively de-interlace my footage. Has anyone else tried this method?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #18
Trustee

de interlace later if your export is an image sequence. anything else, shoot progressive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production