Need help.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 28th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Need help..

OK, this is the most general question ever but..

I've shot this musicvideo. Some of you may have seen it but they group didn't like the "video" look. So I need to get rid of that.

I need some help, mind that the video is already shot so we are talking post production here. I need all the tips and tricks to pull this off. The first and most obvius fast is that it was shot in Interlaced mode, and that gives it the smooth flowy video look.
I need to get rid of that.
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I would recommend Twixtor, but you'd be looking at having to make cuts in the video anywhere the camera changes, and running the filter on those parts. Plus the render time is pretty long.

You can deinterlace the footage.
A widely known method is to:
->Import your footage twice into After Effects
->For each clip, Interpret Footage and set one to upper fields and the other to lower fields
->Set the opacity of the top layer to 50%

This should give you a pretty good deinterlace, which will look different than 60i.

A big thing to do in post is to adjust the color and contrast in some way using curves and tweaking saturation. I always give more contrast, to take away the hazy/grey look of video. Making a difference in color goes a long way.

You could maybe get away with using the Posterize Time filter, set to 24 fps, as long as it's done on scenes that don't have too much motion. (ie. don't use on quick camera pans, or you'll get strobing)

This, and just rendering out at 24 fps, is not really advisable, since there are no blending algorithms going on, but just dropped frames.

Hope this helps, dude.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:33 PM   #3
Wrangler

I like the results I've been getting with DVFilm Maker. It's a very inexpensive standalone program that runs in the background on either the Mac or PC. Try downloading the free demo and see what you think...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I also 2nd DVFilm Maker. And just lowing the frames to 24fps makes a big diffrence. This would be an easy way out

Do you have the video uploaded so we can check it out?
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : I like the results I've been getting with DVFilm Maker. It's a very inexpensive standalone program that runs in the background on either the Mac or PC. Try downloading the free demo and see what you think... -->>>

Boyd, could you explain a bit more how DVFilm Maker runs in the background? I would have thought, that you transfer DV to the hard drive, then run/render it through the DVFilm Maker app, and then, finally, the footage is ready for editing.

Running in real time, in the background as you edit sounds a bit taxing on the system's resources...
Old August 28th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #6
Wrangler

I haven't seriously used it this way, but did try and it continued to run while I did other things. Obviously you can't run it on the same file you're editing. You could certainly run it while surfing the net however. I do find it refreshing that this program is just a simple, barebones standalone application, only a couple hundred KB in size. How often do we see that in these days of "bloatware"?...

But basically I agree with you, while I'm editing I don't want to take a chance that some other program will cause a crash!
Old August 29th, 2003, 05:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys!
Very kind, I reeeeealy need this help.

They "ok:ed" the video over the web but when they saw it on TV they tought it looked too much video. Understandeble, but I need to fix it. I guess I have to filter like a maniac. I always tweak colors/contrast to get the "haze" out.

I'm going to try your tips and trix.

But as for now you can download the old version here.
http://www.atamashi.com/glorious/Glo...ur%20world.wmv

Notice that the "glow" are way to much on the compressed file.
It renders a lot less on a TV..
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Boyd and/or Mark,

Have you read the book SHOOTING DIGITAL that's offered on the DVFilm website? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks
Old August 29th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice work Andreas. One of the better music videos I have seen shot "on" video.

Would you mind sharing your setup? Camera and NL software etc?

Sounds like stage music.
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, It wasn't good enough. They thought it looked too much like video. *sob sob*

I shot the video on 4 days, 3 diffrent countries. No light (I wanted to but they wanted to cut short on the expenses) Yeah, don't ask!
My setup was 1 canon XL1s and a creative mind. Altough I have to admit, I'm not very fond of the music :) So making a video was quite hard. I edited it with vegas.. Took me about a week editing on and off..

The music I belive is intended for -15 and + 50 :)
Are there specific details you want to know I would be glad to share them with you!

And thank you for your feedback!

/Andreas
Old August 30th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Philip Boyer : Have you read the book SHOOTING DIGITAL that's offered on the DVFilm website? -->>>

No, just the excerpt here.
Old August 30th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #12
Wrangler

They want to keep it low budget, won't pay for lighting, AND want you to pull off a film look???

I feel bad for you. You delivered a great video. It looks top notch, and I assumed you had a reasonably decent budget to do it with. Knowing that you did it cheaply makes it even more impressive. Great work. If you want, tell the band to come talk to me, I'll put them in place for you. ;)

PS, not into the music at all, but the video was good enough I wanted to keep watching. And I think you got the age bracket wrong. Perhaps more like under 7 and over 70. :)
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Haha, I guess your right Dylan. The fact that the music did not appeal to me made it extra hard. Atleast that's what I feel. This video is on the opposite from what I usually do.. I don't mean the opposite from what I do like that but the opposite from the usual musicvideo I would like to do. But I am young, nobody knows who I am.. I just wanted to get my name out there.. So they said they would get the video on air.. But now, we will have to wait and see what will happend. Their Agent told them the video did't cut it.. The fact that their agent cut it don't bother me much, You will have to live with that in this bussiness. But what bothers me is that I couln't deliver a music video that did cut it.. If you know what I mean?

Well, infact there was no budget. I agreed to to their video if they got people to see it. They did pay for my plane ticket, and travle expenses. But that was it.. And part of me did it because I need all the experiance I can get and I love making movies/video..
Old August 31st, 2003, 02:21 AM   #14
Wrangler

I'd have two things to tell them and the agent:
#1 If the agent doesn't want to use it, suggest you will involve your lawyer as they will in breech of your contract to do it for free, as the only thing you get out of it is getting your name out there. You did get a contract, right?

#2... Well, #2 isn't fit to say in public.
Old August 31st, 2003, 02:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Wow I'm totally shocked. They don't want to pay anything, yet they want a 1 million dollar 35mm Music Video.

For a "Video" Music Video shot with one XL1 it looks super. But it doesn't matter if they didn't like it. You did it and you should of got paid but I understand if you also did it for the love. Because that is what I do. Right now you don't need the pressure with money if you are still gaining expirence.

I know one of these days though you will have a contract and will get paid for the hard work you do.
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production