Can make a "Film look" with Sony PD150 & After Effects, regards to playback speed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Can make a "Film look" with Sony PD150 & After Effects, regards to playback speed?

I am using a Sony PD150 with Mini DV tapes.

My project is to make a Short Film with CG effects.

My question is can I make it appear like real Cinematic film rather than a home video?
So should I convert the clips to 24p in After Effects and thats it? Also is there a way to do this or get that effect?
Monty Luthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Film look is about more than 24p of course, although it certainly helps. If you haven't already shot it, make sure when you do you use some lighting, and try for a couple shots with DoF, that always helps ;)

Also, are you using a PAL version? I don't know much about the PD150, but apparently it can shoot 25p. If that's so, then yeah, convert that to 24p in post. If not, it's probably not worth trying to force 24p, since it'll make things look choppy.

Another AE tool you can try is Magic Bullet looks, which can emulate the film effect pretty well. It won't slow down your footage to 24 frames or give you depth of field, but it'll shade your shots so that they appear like 35mm stock.

Hopefully that'll help get you on the right track. Really, film look is a tandam between 24p, nice lighting and DoF, although I'm sure there's more to it. I've gotten nice results by JUST lighting well.
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
New Boot

What if I am recording with 30f or 29.9, would there be a point where the lag happens?
Monty Luthera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production