Once Upon a Time in Mexico short DOF died... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Go see "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" -- that's an example of digital footage transferring very well to film. Except for just a few instances, I found the picture quality completely acceptable. On SWEPII, I found the picture quality bordering on unacceptable at times.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #17
Space Hipster

Barry - I agree - I just think it's hilarious that Lucasfilm did the transfer if I read the credits right.
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Digital does not transfer well to film. It would be incredibly stupid for a multi-million dollar production to intentionally have a bad transfer when they are trying to get their money made back.
That just depends on their agenda, and if they care if the transfer looks good. AFAIK, Lucas is trying to push digital filming and projection, so it would be good for his platform if the film version looked crappy.

And if digital doesn't transfer well to film, how are all the digital effects in most recent movies done? It was my understanding that all the film stock is scanned at around 2000 vertical lines (and a proportional horizontal resolution). That would have to go back onto film somehow after everything is done.

All I know is that my stuff burned to a DVD and projected onto a 40' screen looks remarkably good for only having 480 vertical lines of resolution.
Jon Yurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #19
Wrangler

The difference being that they originated on film rather than HD. There is some resolution lost in this process, which is why cinematographers are pushing for 4K digital intermediate becoming the standard once the technology is fully in place.
Old September 29th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok, I finally left the JVC HD forum to have a look around.

I thought Mexico looked suprisingly good, but there was something about the first shot of the movie, the one where Depp is sitting at the table, that looked unimpressive. This one and a few other shots later on just looked like they didn't belong, they had a very soft video quality to them and even seemed to have a minus green quality to them. As soon as it cut to Cheech's reverse, everything looked great, colors warm and rich, sharp as a tack, felt like film. I know every frame was shot with the f900, but I wonder if the AC lost the setup card for some shots, or who knows what.

Oh, and the jaggies I saw were on a static shot, diagonal lines from the stairs. Even if there was fast motion, it's progressive so no interlace artifacts possible.

Jay
Jay Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:17 PM   #21
Major Player

The film had a cool look, but distance shots did look...vapory.

The film was badly in need of a script.
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #22
RED Code Chef

From what I heard those explosions were real but there was
a reason why they looked the way they do.... Could it be a
dynamic range problem? <yikes>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production