Shutter speed and film transfers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Tourist

Shutter speed and output to film

How will a film transfer be affected if I shoot in 24PA with shutter speed high and edit in true 24 fps ? Will there still be motion blur as found on NTSC and PAL cameras shot with high shutter speed?

Or is what I see on the monitor what I get when I output to film? Thanks for any replies!
Neill Dela Llana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Outer Circle

You should contact the trasfer lab you will be using to see what they recommend.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the higher the shutter speed the less motion blur .. most houses will tell you not to shoot higher then 1/60th unless you are using it for effects...

film camera's running 24fps have shutter speed 1/48th of sec ...

film projectors have 3 bladed shutters that break up the light 3 times for each frame = 72 flashes of light per second - we don't see it ( persistence of vision) ...

your monitor doesn't have the 72 pulses so not sure if viewing same 24fps clip would be same on monitor and big screen ??
i would say they are NOT the same as many complain about the jerkyness of 24fps on a computer screen but never complain about viewing 24fps on the BIG screen at movie theater ( but lets not forget about the 72 flashes) ??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production