How to get best 16:9 footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 14th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I didn't even think about the colour correction and the letterbox mask...thanks!

"I don't really understand what you mean by "...if you use the title, you are already blocking out some useless data which would otherwise degrade picture quality for the middle..." I think with either method you are going to end up using 432 lines out of 576 - (full vertical height minus 25% letterboxing - erm, different numbers if you are in NTSC) there ain't really any way around that"

What I mean is not that I would get a better resolution, but the important stuff (the picture inside the letterbox mask -whether I did it in post or camera) would show less compression artifacts. I am wondering this because there would be less resolution of colour, complex data to encode - a lot of info can be saved if part of the image is just black...at least that is my theory.

Thanks again for the support...when I get back maybe I will post some videos or snaps.
Rob
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
hey Rob

i recently purchased the jvc3000, i only had it for a month and took it back. i now have an xl1. i purchased a brand new four and a half hour battery that i didn't even use. i charged it up but didn't use it. i have only had it for a two weeks, i have the original packaging and reciept. it was $125.00 with shipping. if you want it e-mail me an offer. it is the BN-V428U.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Here's what I'm doing with my Sony single chip cam. It works great without resolution loss in achieving a letterboxed image for viewing on a 4:3 TV. (I assume that's what your aiming for).

I shoot in the Sony's 16/9 mode. Using Vegas Video, I convert to standard 4:3 when I render out the project. The difference is - this DOES NOT just cut off the top and bottom of the picture, throwing away almost a third of your resolution - it simply resamples the whole frame down without aliasing, and squeezes it inside the 4:3 frame. you effectively end up with a letterboxed image, but actually with MORE resolution, because you used the entire width of the CCD, then downsample your precious little pixels to look effectivley a bit sharper.

I really can't understand why anyone would do it the opposite way (if their camera can do an anamorphic wide image) and throw away a third of their picture.
Kevin A. Sturges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
this DOES NOT just cut off the top and bottom of the picture, throwing away almost a third of your resolution - it simply resamples the whole frame down without aliasing, and squeezes it inside the 4:3 frame
the d.wide mode on my camera uses the entire width of the CCD. the squeeze mode doesn't. This is why they advertise it as d.wide...it uses the full ccd and in relation to the squeeze/normal modes, it has the equal width of using a 0.7x adapter.

that's why...if that makes any sense? I totally understand your thinking behind your method...and it seems right...but my camera downsample's the full ccd in d.wide mode and that is what is recorded to tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production