Tiffen Ultra Contrast 4x4 Filters... (Papert?) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #16
Major Player

No Worries Charles.
Thanks for sharing. I eagerly wait the ultra-con.

I understand you were the "a" cam on American History X. That was a great movie. I am a huge fan of Edward Norton. What was that like?

Too bad, you don't live anywhere near my neck of the woods. I'd definitely invite you over to my studio for a coffee/visit. In case you might be interested, this is where i work: http://www.spooncreative.com.

Cheers.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Just recieved the Ultra Con 1 from B&H.

This was my first purchase of B&H, I rate them 9/10. Hassle-free shopping i must admit. Delivery arrived on time and well-packed.

Charles, if i may bother you with a few more questions...
I did some quick tests with the Ultra Con 1 and liked what it did to the image. Although the 1 is mild, it did lift the shadows a bit. If my eyes serves me well, it seems to mute the colours a wee bit too. I'd like to get another with a bit more strength. So my questions are: 1) How far up is the strength of the 2 from the 1? and 2) does stacking a 2 on the 1 result in a 3 strength?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #18
Wrangler

Kevin:

1) How long is a piece of string--it's hard to quanitfy. The 2 is not double the effect. maybe 1.5x the effect?

2) I would guess that stacking would work, but I've never tried it.

Sorry I didn't respond to your last post, I must have missed it. "AHX" was a crazy shoot, the director was, let's say, unconventional. I was just working this week with the makeup gal who was in charge of all the tattoes in the film, we were agreeing that it was a work experience like no other. I'm glad to have done it but at the time, we had no idea what was going on. Sort of like a $10 million student film.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Charles.

Aight. I'm dne with the Qs on the ultra-cons. Thanks.
Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this cam, anyone?
http://www.pro8mm.com/us/acam.htm
$4k+ supposedly.

Oscars...
It's great to see a flick like "City Of Gods" nominated for best pic along with the big glossy ones. haven't seen it as yet but have heard great things.

Saw Dancer In The Dark the other night. interesting form. felt his "technicolouring" didn't quite work though.
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #20
Wrangler

That's a wild looking camera. Not too entralled with the viewing system, but my guess is that it's intended for uber-lightweight applications as a wacky point-of-view cam. It's an interesting counterpoint to the Aaton A-Minima, which it obviously is being marketed against considering at the name, although that is a reflex and video-tapped camera, more suited for different kinds of filmmaking.
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #21
Major Player

Seems you're not a fan.
Yeah. The viewfinder seems very arkward.
Couldn't the whole cam be put on some sort of mount for ergonomics?

They gave a price of 4K+ for that. I'm not familiar with film cams but i'm confidently assuming that is very very cheap. Isn't the beautiful-looking a-minima about 20K?
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #22
Wrangler

I'm sure there is some application for this, certainly at this price...it would be more of a cheap rental than a purchase in my mind. Actually it looks like a good choice in a crash housing for potentially destructive camera positions.

I just think a non-reflex camera is extraordinarily limited.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production