720p timelapse of tonight's sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 7th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

720p timelapse of tonight's sunset

little HD timelapse i made tonight... only 3 seconds long. This is a lapse period of about 15mins. I'm going to make another tomorrow that looks better, or if there aren't clouds tomorrow i'll wait untill they are clouds (since a partial cloudy sky seems to make the best sunset here)..

halfway through i moved the focus from 3 metres to infinity.. seemed like a good idea at the time.. i should have left it focused more closely though, in retrospect. it was windy as heck today too, which contributed to a lot of the noticeable stutter.

I am posting this here, since it was originally an experiment for magic bullet. I treated it to the "warm and fuzzy" look filter, with post saturation raised to +5% and post contrast raised to 35%. If a moderator wants to move it to one of the other "video posting" sections that is fine, i just felt it was more relevant here since it's an experiment with magic bullet (and not a demonstration of what i am "editing" or anything, which is what the other video posting section is for iirc)

1.8MB, mpeg2.

http://www.adamgeek.com/sunset.mpg
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

What camera did you use? It says HD, but what model?
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i actually made it using a Sony F717, composited the frames in combustion 2, then used MB 1.5 to color correct.
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

May I suggest that on your next attempt, you try to focus in a place that won't have moving objects such as trees, shrubs etc. Since there looks to be a fair amount of wind in your area, your time lapse looks hectic with the objects moving around frantically. If you want more of a calming look, then by cutting out these trees you just see the horizon change colors and the sun set. Just a thought :D
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's a good suggestion, bryan. It was very windy that day, which is part of the issue. I actually like the hectic look.. sometimes. For me, timelapse footage is interesting when sped up movements seem very "fluid" (i.e. clouds) .. but also just as interesting when they seem "hectic" (i.e. ants going into and out of an anthill).

I still havent found the time to shoot another.. hopefully soon, and for a much longer duration.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Adam,
What'S that shining streak that runs on the right-top of the screen? Mars Attack!! he he he.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Adam
the file seems to not be up there anymore. Have you had any problems with flicker? I've been witnessing some when I shoot in lower light situations. Thanks
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Tom, the file downloads fine for me at work. Perhaps your net was a bit screwy?

Takeshi, i dont know what streak you mean, i'll have to look at home.. my work machine can't play mpeg2, and i'm much too busy at the moment to chase down a codec for it haha. ;)
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production