EXCELLENT news! Scored a name actor! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Major Player

EXCELLENT news! Scored a name actor!

I just wanted to share a bit of great news. I received an e-mail this morning from an agent telling me that her client wants to play the main role in the short film I'm preparing. I sent him my script a couple of weeks ago and then forgot all about it, thinking he'd be more interested in big-budget projects.

None of you would know the name unless you were Quebec (or maybe France) residents, but this actor won two Jutra awards (the Quebec equivalent of the Oscars). He does a lot of film and TV work, and his name will be a huge help in securing financing.

I only have two short films to my name (neither of which received much exposure and no awards yet) and no one else is attached to this project yet. It was solely the script that got him onboard, so remember everyone: story first!

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Congrats, Jacques. I hope the project goes well for you!

Michel Coté? Roy Dupuis? Patrick Huard?
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Major Player

C'est formidable!

Excuse me if my french is rusty.

That's great news even though I know nothing about Quebec cinema (ok I know a little bit--i.e I know who Claude Jutra was and saw that film about an uncle).

Quebec seems to have a lot more happening than English Canada. I believe Porky's is still the highest grossing English language Canadian film.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden View Post
C'est formidable!

Excuse me if my french is rusty.

That's great news even though I know nothing about Quebec cinema (ok I know a little bit--i.e I know who Claude Jutra was and saw that film about an uncle).

Quebec seems to have a lot more happening than English Canada. I believe Porky's is still the highest grossing English language Canadian film.
Don't forget "Canadian Bacon" - a lot of it filmed right here in Steel Town (Hamilton). John Candy, Alan Alda, Rhea Pearlman, James Belushi, directed by Michael Moore.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Don't forget "Canadian Bacon" - a lot of it filmed right here in Steel Town (Hamilton). John Candy, Alan Alda, Rhea Pearlman, James Belushi, directed by Michael Moore.
**Oh yeah I remember it.
I found a youtube clip just the other week of Buster Keaton in my hometown White Rock along the beach railroad tracks. It was from 1964, before I was born. Weird to see a familiar yet mundane location from my childhood in a film. Brought back memories of how rustic it used to be.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Congrats, Jacques. I hope the project goes well for you!

Michel Coté? Roy Dupuis? Patrick Huard?
No, I was looking for someone who does theater and character-oriented projects. My short is 15 minutes long without dialogue, so it presents certain challenges.

The actor is Paul Ahmarani. The name is obscure, but people know the face.

As soon as I get the agent's letter of intent I'm putting together a package and approaching more sources of funding in case the ones I'm expecting fall through.

J.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Hope it all works out. Positive vibes coming your way...
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Hope it all works out. Positive vibes coming your way...
Thanks. Now I'm thinking "Shoot, I should have aimed higher!" ;-)

J.

Last edited by Jacques E. Bouchard; April 21st, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Major Player

A little off-topic: Jacques I am in the middle of adapting a concept for a family film festival (I can go into more detail, but it's not critical) that cannot use dialogue. I have a story in mind, but am having a RIDICULOUS time trying to write a script with no dialogue. What resources did you use to help you write your script? I would love any tips or insight you can offer.

Thanks!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
I am in the middle of adapting a concept for a family film festival (I can go into more detail, but it's not critical) that cannot use dialogue. I have a story in mind, but am having a RIDICULOUS time trying to write a script with no dialogue. What resources did you use to help you write your script?
It's a tricky question because there's no method or formula. You have to utilize the audience's ability to interpret details, while at the same time avoiding the old heavy-handed clichés (such as newspaper headlines conveniently placed). The biggest sin you could commit is being too obvious to the point of having characters who act unrealistically.

I'd recommend watching any of the Jacques Tati films, which are mostly dialogue-free (at least for themain character). More recently, you could look for "Palace", a 1995 France/Spain co-production. It's a broad comedy but it utilizes no dialogue whatsoever. However, it's in the style of silent movies, with a lot of over-the-top acting.

Try sitting at a café and observing people. Make observations about them, and analyze what made you form those observations (aside form dialogue, of course).

Expect your first draft to stink as you stretch (and awaken) your skill for observation. It'll get better with each subsequent version.

Jacques
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Jacques, it is a letter of commitment that you want saying that he will do the project at such and such a time - not a letter of intent.

Congratulations. You will find that having one good name will help attract other names to the project as well.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Starfelt View Post
Jacques, it is a letter of commitment that you want saying that he will do the project at such and such a time - not a letter of intent.
Neither, actually, as the document is in French. But you and I both know what we meant. ;-)

My lawyer and the actor's agent have hammered out the contract. We're signing next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Starfelt View Post
Congratulations. You will find that having one good name will help attract other names to the project as well.
There's only one primary role, the rest are extras. But the name will attract sponsors, distributors and broadcasters. I'm sending out proposals next week.

J.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Trustee

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep us updated on how it goes, and merde!
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Well I'm at the stage of bolting upright in bed at night hyperventilating and wondering what I'm getting into, so yeah, I'd say the project is coming along nicely. ;-)

J.
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #15
Trustee

Couldn't get Celine, eh? :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production