Xl1s Solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Xl1s Solutions

I am currently putting together a system for a feature length piece I am shooting in the spring.

I would like to use the mini35 with my Xl1s, but the problem is that I would dry up my whole buget if I was to buy a $6k adapter. I was looking at a couple of other solutions. I am not an expert on the subject so any help would be great.

Could I use the Canon EF adapter for the XL1s and attach a 35mm Canon lens and get the short depth of field similar to to the mini35?

I looked at the thread about making a homemade mini35 adapter, but it seemed problematic with the Xl1. I need something that will be durable and can withstand lots of handheld shooting. If I missed any other cheap(under 2k) solutions for achieving the short depth of field please tell me. Thanks.

-Dave
Old February 28th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

The EF adapter does not give you the shallow depth of field look you're after. Currently the mini35 is the only product on the market that I know of, that works with the XL1s, to provide a way to mount long cinema lenses and get the shallow DOF that comes from using those longer lenses.

You may not need to buy the adapter, you may be able to rent it affordably (or comparatively affordably) depending on your production schedule.

And, you could look into re-selling it on ebay. The mini35 costs about $8500 complete, and you could probably look to get, oh, six or six and a half from an ebay sale, so your net cost for using it for the duration of your production might be $2000 or $2500 or so.

(but then again, you also have to get lenses to use with it, and those will be an additional cost).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Barry. I was afraid that this was the truth. I will have to rework my schedule possibly. I like the idea of just selling it on Ebay once I am done. I have never used it, but that sounds promising.

- Dave
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Barry

More curious than anything:

I thought the XL1 could use any lens?

What would be the point of a 35mm Adapter such as the P + S with the XL1?

Just curious? Educate me!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Warden

The mini 35 projects an image onto a spinning ground glass. The projected image has most of the characteristics of 35mm film. The XL1 then focuses on the projected image and preserves all the images 35mm qualities. The final image only has DV resolution, but the DOF of the larger format is preserved.

Many people are using Nikor 35mm or Canon 35mm lenses on the mini 35. Of course, the lenses Barry refers will also work, with the proper adapter. The DOF will be the same, regardless the lens used as long as the aperture, distance to subject and focal length stay the same.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Dave:

If the idea of spending an effective $2000 on the adaptor is appealing (via the eBay concept), you could also consider renting it for the duration, which would eliminate the hassle or risk of reselling it.
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

These guys are renting the mini35

http://www.fvesco.com/rental/video/mini35.htm

Hope it helps... good luck!
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #8
Major Player

I might just work my shooting schedule to rent it. I have a place close to my house that rents it for $250/day.
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Tks Jeff. The spinning glass!

Make a good name for a production company, huh?

Spinning Glass Pictures
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production