Converting normal to frame at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting normal to frame

Has anyone used this product? Is it true as they claim on their site http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm that converting to film is easier in normal mode than with frame mode? Is it a significant difference, or just good marketing? $95 seems awful cheap to convert normal to frame and have it turn out better than if shot natively.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:36 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No, I haven't tried this product but it looks like it would be easy enough for you to try it for yourself. They offer a demo version on that site. Have at it!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

here's a link with some different ways ( tested - including DV filmmaker ) to get progressive ...

http://www.2-pop.com/article/mainv/0,7220,34614,00.html
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2002, 12:23 PM   #4
Trustee

another smart de-interlacer

I've not tried the program you mentioned, but it sounds similar to Re:Vision Effects Fieldskit-- http://www.revisionfx.com/rsfk.htm. It's a few bucks less, and has a lot of control. I'm not sure it's "better" than frame mode, but when I've compared footage it is remarkably close..there can be some aliasing around high contrast objects. Another thing to consider is that these smart de-interlacers can be quite slow, depending on how "smart" they are. I'd give the dvfilm Maker demo a shot and compare it with the frame mode and also Fieldskit...you may find that there is little difference between them most of the time....except for the time you spend rendering.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production