Set vs Location at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Set vs Location

Hello,

I'm producing/directing an up coming project. I have one major hurdle, my location. I need a small room for two Radio Presenters. (with all the radio gear)

Is it likely that I'm going to be able to secure a Radio Station ie, just the booth for the presenters. Or do you think I'll be better off building a set?

I really need some advice, from anyone who have build sets/secured locations???

Thank you

Andrew
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Major Player

my guess (and it's merely a guess) is that it'd be pretty easy to secure a radio booth as a location. Try the colleges and universities around your area and maybe they have a radio program who'd be easier to work with on that.

good luck.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Trustee

When we have to feature the fictitious studio of a local radio station in our daily soap, Pobol y Cwm (S4C) we use a local hospital radio studio. They tend to have programmes in the daytime being played out automatically, so the studio is free of presenters...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

The major of advantage of a set is that you can pull walls, which gives you many more options for camera placement and lighting. If your entire film is set in a confined space like this, it will likely enhance the visual possibilities and create more variety. This is assuming that you are able to art direct it properly.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've contacted all my local colleges/uni's. I'm still waiting on quotes back from some of them. The one i have had back

They want to charge me 120 UK pounds Per HOUR.

I think i'll try my local hospitals. See what they say. Thanks.
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Whereabouts are you Andrew, England is quite a large location?!
I can probably provide a radio station set-up for the price of a round of coffees...45 mins SW of London, if that's any help. Any more info on your project? And keep in mind that many radio booths/studios are often quite cramped and dark - not always ideal for filming in....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production