Advanced Stop Trick Technique - Help!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Advanced Stop Trick Technique - Help!!

When I was younger, my grandpa discovered an effect with his video camera while shooting a home video footage of my family. Yet then, he did not know that that effect was discovered years before and used in film making quite often. From what I have read, its called the Stop-Trick effect.

And now that young boy grew older and is into filmaking! I need some help guys as i would like to use this technique in a short which Im doing.....but with a twist!

From Wikipedia: "A stop trick is a film special effect. It occurs when an object is filmed, then while the camera is off, the object is moved out of sight of the camera, then the camera is turned back on. When the film is watched it thus seems to the viewer that object disappears"

In recent years, because of advanced digitally rendered techniques, this type of effect became much smoother in operation rather than just a cut to the following scene, providing cool on screen apparitions and on screen disappearances. (Particle illusion software has some particles which can be used specifically in this way)

The thing is that this effect is acquired only when the camera is not moved between shots. But I have seen in various occasions (which currently i cannot remember where) that a similar technique is used but the camera will be actually moving and not kept in the same spot, thus giving a more dynamic shot.

Example: The end result of a scene where a camera tracks forward on a dolly track while a person in the shot fades in and out doing different things to give a sense of passing time yet the camera keeps moving forward....any ideas how this is made?

I dont think its a question to use a green screen however.......i think its more that you have to film the shot twice or something like that anyway...but i really cant figure out how!

would appriciate your feedback! many thanks!

Clayton
Clayton Galea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Trustee

I see it on TV a lot, especially the "how it's done" shows. Usually the camera is stationary and a dissolve is used to enter and exit subjects. Sometimes the footage is shown in fast motion too.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Have you considered scaling up the image in post instead of tracking the camera?
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Galea View Post
I dont think its a question to use a green screen however.......i think its more that you have to film the shot twice or something like that anyway...but i really cant figure out how!
The effect in moving shots is done by a motion or computer controlled camera. The shot is done at least twice with and without the subjects with the camera making the exact same move. It can also be combined with green screen and advanced motion controlled software to track the subjects. It's relatively easy with a stationary shot but requires a big budget and expertise for moving shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production