Need more information about Quicktime "Old Movie" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Need more information about Quicktime "Old Movie"

I am not entirely sure if it is a filter, or a program, but I have seen many references to the Quicktime "Aged Film" effect, but I have never fully understood what it is, or where a person could get it.
Or what programs it works with, etc.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Lansing, MI 48912-1924
(517) 485-3609
rogerglumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

If its the same one I'm thinking of, I believe it came with Premiere, although it might have come from downloading QuickTime, and downloaded its self into the premiere folder.

The filter enables you to create a 'fake' film effect. I.e. allowing you to add scratches, hair and dust, sepia tone, black and white, fade film and 1930's colour. Although the scratches are in white, I am told that real scratches on film should be black.

The QT filter also enables you to add other effects other than film effect like emboss, lens flare and fire.

The filter is pretty good; I used it for one of my productions. You can read more at the tread 'how to create a cine film effect', in this forum.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 01:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks.

With Premier sort of the de facto standard in its price range, I am left out of the loop on a lot of things.

I am using MediaStudio Pro, and I like it a lot, but I do see that a lot of plug ins are designed specifically for Premier.

I may buy After Effects, because I am quite interested in Cinelook.

I was asking about the Quicktime filter/program because I also wanted a less extensive film look, too.
Lansing, MI 48912-1924
(517) 485-3609
rogerglumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #4
Trustee

the plug-in is included in the quicktime pro package ($30 from apple) and is confusingly called "film noise". I think it only works in the quicktime player as an export filter. There are several options and controls to allow you to adjust the amount of dust and scratches it adds to your movie.

Overall I think it looks kind of cheesy, the scratches are just opaque white lines with none of the artifacts of a real scratch. The dust looks pretty good.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production