Digital Film Recorder for DV blow up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Digital Film Recorder for DV blow up

just curious, could something like this be used for DV blow up to film for say 10 minute shorts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...820521007&rd=1

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

I have no experience or knowledge with it, but I suspect it is
a matter of what the included software supports. In theory the
device allows to record digital footage to film (as I understand it).

I doubt the software would support DV files natively and they
will probably need to be uprezzed etc. before use.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, this went for a song !!!

I regret not placing a bid.

Did some research and found that it supports 24 bit 4k resolution from Mac or PC stills, on standard 100ASA 35mm film - so after uprezzing, a short needs to be stored as numbered pix which the device will then print (as a printer so I am led to believe)

In order to get it in movie size I guess you get two pairs rotated into a 35mm SLR frame then you could print two academy frames per pass after working out the math for frame registration?

Old June 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It would have to be a VERY short film! I doubt the magazine holds more than your standard load of 35mm film. SO figure no more than forty of fifty frames.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

splicer?

just for the master of course

Old June 14th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

A Celco didn't sell on ebay for $30k? 15K? something like that. (originally $400K...) THAT's what you're looking for. (NOTE It wouldn't do audio you'd take your film output and audio tracks and a lab would master it...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Gee, A-B rolling, color timing, negative conforming... GRAND TOTAL 18 thousand dollars or more depending on the lenth. And don't be rude -- shooting on digital and doing a transfer is nothing special. Although if you'all are intending a film festival circuit many of the festivals are accepting DVD's and Digital Tapes as screeners.
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Because his intent is to blow up to film so it doesn't matter what festivals are doing. The cost of the transfer would make the total cost equal to shooting film in the first place.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #9
Major Player

"The cost of the transfer would make the total cost equal to shooting film in the first place."
Hmmm... what if he's shooting 10 takes/scene? Or 50? :) And maybe he's doing some digital editing so he'll need to go from film to digital and back to film anyway?
It would look better (if done properly), no question about it. But I don't think it will cost the same as shooting&editing digital, then transfer to film.
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Apples and oranges are always tough to compare. But lets assume that all other things are equal. That is... cast and crew are paid the same, sets and lighting and grip gear is all the same.

The difference in cost comes down to a few extra personell such as first camera / loader in the case of film or perhaps an engineer/tech in the case of hi-def (not the case in low def).

Camera rental versus camera purchase - hard to know prices locally, but around here, you can rent a good film package for the cost of purchasing a DV cam. Heck, you can buy a 35mm mitchell bncr for ten grand, including telephoto lens, gear head and sticks. (See visual products for more info)

Stock - Film stock versus tape stock. Tape is much cheaper, but here is where the math comes in. You have to be serious about your shooting ratio. I've seen DV setups that go on and on for hours longer because it's so cheap to shoot... but that raises teh overall cost of the scene because of the time spent on it. Not to mention the hours of footage that you slog through in logging and editing. (Which raises your post costs.) SO, again, going back to being disciplined, assume a really tight shooting ration of say... 6 to 1. That's a good "indy" benchmark.

So yes, figure your film to tape transfer costs, and then your neg conforming and "film out"... and balance that against the transfer of your digital film to a color balanced final print.

Bottom line... tape will be a "little' bit cheaper, and a lower quality image.

Is that acceptable? Only you can decide. But do the math all the way to the end product... and do it right. Then make an informed decision.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #11
Major Player

In addition to the time to make 50 shots/scene you wouldn't/shouldn't "print" all 50 shots.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #12
Major Player

:)
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #13
Major Player

this is more directed to the seat-o-the-pants filmmaker and is not a critique of anyone's projects other than my own sucky first film.

digital has the advantage of realizing that your film sucks and is being rejected by festivals and you better suck it up and make another one with the 18000 you didn't spend on a sucky movie.

...& no I'm not bitter. I'm steeling myself for rejection.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production