From 1/3" to 1/2" 3ccd camcorder: dof difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 14th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #1
Tourist

From 1/3" to 1/2" 3ccd camcorder: dof difference?

Hello everybody,
another dof question.

How much shallower dof gives a 1/2" camcorder respect a 1/3" one? Say, a Panasonic DVC200 vs a Canon Xl1s..

I was thinking two ways to refresh my camera setup: buy a new DVC200 or a P+S technik Mini35 adapter for the Xl1s.

What do you think is the best deal?
Thanks for any thoughts, inputs, etc.
Ric
Riccardo De Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I understood from Charles Papert that even with a 2/3" CCD
(which is even larger) the DOF will not change enough. So I
doubt 1/2" will get you where you want to go.

But I leave it to other people who are a bit more in the know
to either confirm or deny this claim I just made.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Even with the larger chip size, there is no way the DOF would be able to compete with the DOF control of a Mini35. If it's DOF you're after and have a good existing camera and the money for either a bigger chip camera or a Mini35, I sure as heck would go for the Mini35.

After all, look at the fine work Charles did for AmEx on the Seinfeld spots with an XL1 and a Mini35.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #4
Warden

These chips are not as big as you might believe. A 1/3 inch chip is about 4.8mm X 3.6mm and a 1/2 inch chip is about 6.4mm X4.8mm. The diagonals are 6mm and 8mm respectively. The diagonal for 35mm film is about 44mm. That is a huge difference. The small chips change in DOF is probably on the order of 10% or so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

At equivalent distance to subject, a 1/2" camera needs a 30% longer lens to deliver the same field of view, when compared to a 1/3" camera.

So let's assume you're talking about a PD170 at its maximum telephoto, 72mm. At 10 feet from the subject, and f/2.8, the PD170 would have a DOF of about 4.25". A 1/2" camera would need about a 94mm lens for the same field of view, and would thus deliver a DOF of about 3.75".

Let's assume the same settings, but at 30mm on the PD170 (and, correspondingly, 39mm on the 1/2" camera). At 10 feet, the PD170 would have a DOF of 25.25". The 1/2" camera would be at 21.75".

At the extreme end, let's take a fairly wide-angle shot of something 50 feet away, at f/2. The PD170 would be at maybe 20mm, the 1/2" camera at about 26mm. The PD170 would have a DOF of about 280 feet. The 1/2" camera has a DOF of about 150'.

So, there's a difference, but not a BIG difference. Certainly nowhere near as much as you'd get with a 2/3" camera, and nowhere in the ballpark as compared to a 35mm movie camera.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production