Billups & Neutral Density at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 27th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Billups & Neutral Density

In his book Digital Movemaking, Scott Billups (pp. 114f) talks about using neutral density filters to "stablize and and reduce the 'low-light' sensitivity of the camcorder so that it begins to echo the light-handling charateristics of a conventional film camera."

Has anyone tried his "finding the sweet spot" procedure with an XL1/XL1s? I would really like to hear about your results.

I've read through this section of the Billups book a few times, but I still not quite sure I understand what he's recommending exactly. He recommends never changing the gain (introduces noise, he says). If I understand what he is saying it is to fix on a single f-stop and fine tuning by using ND filters and careful lighting. Yes?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:50 AM   #2
Warden

I would say that is a good plan if you can control your lighting to that extent. Auto gain is a big problem in the small CCD cameras. The lenses have a definite sweet spot around F5.6 or F8. This link http://www.lafcpug.org/curseofdigital_feature.html has been posted here several times and I think might be of interest to you.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, jt, for the link. Interesting and gives me some ideas.

A pretty harsh judgement on the image quality of the XL1s, esp. as I have read other completely contradictory judgements (see, for example the note on www.dvcreators.net that praises the Xl1 for its "warm" picture).

I note the article does not address ND filters per se.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:41 AM   #4
Warden

Well, he did say subjective. But I agree. I've never thought the Sony' had pleasing skin tones. To my eye, Sony (Prosumer models) skin tones are very magenta. Nice, if you've never seen the light of day, but Floridians all look like lobsters. Not very accurate in my book. Filters are one of those things you have to experiment with. The ND filters are used to adjust exposure to keep the lens in the sweet spot. A good ND neither adds or subtracts from the color balance.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production