DV in "true" scope + Magic Bullet - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 25th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi
I maybe e missed something but I do not understand you right:

<...PAL is 720x576. 720p is 1280x720. If we blow up the anamorphic PAL frame to the 720p frame we only have to stretch it sideways to get the correct size and aspect ratio. If you do this in NTSC you also have to stretch it verticaly since NTSC is only 720x480. ...>

To me in your exsample you have to blow 720 to 1280 and 576 to 720, you have to strech always in both directions. The diference is that in PALyou have 576 to 720 and in NTSC 480 to 720, you never get the 720 lines for free.

Or am I wrong??

Anyway, congarulations for the images, they are very nice

Istvan
RED #1161
Istvan Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 01:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Actually yes, you are wrong =)

Remember, that the 1280x720 is the entire image INCLUDING the black letterbox bars to make it 2.35:1

So if we remove a 4.th of 720 (720/4 = 180) for the letterbox bars, we get 540 (720 - 180 = 540) lines worth of visible image area. Since PAL is 576 high we actually have 26 lines to spare, but NTSC being 480 would mean that we are 60 lines short.

I need an anamorphic lens :) ,
Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 02:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for helping, I do understand the propotion issue and I see why PAL is more of help.
Where I still have problems is with the question: are we in this case in 720p? I have problems with the progressiv definitions all over, not only here.
Istvan
RED #1161
Istvan Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 12:34 AM   #19
Major Player

I'm in the midst of shooting a feature film using the double 16x9 method so I might not be able to reply for a while. Henrik, you are right (hello neighbour). The method is impossible in NTSC because of the lack of vertical lines. The "gap" betweeen 720 and 576 is the 2.35:1 letterbox.

It's VERY hard to shoot this way. You absolutely have to have a dual monitor setup. One displaying the image straight and one in 2.35:1 image format for checking compositions. I'll post images of my own setup using a PowerBook as a "hub" soon. I use a great app called BTV Pro for displaying the DV stream (via FireWire) in the correct aspect ratio on the fly. I'm also using the PowerBook for vectorscope checks.

We have been shooting for two days (three weeks to go) and have got some absolutely smashing images. I'll post them later too...
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Martin =)

Please post your setup and images. Judging by the images from the music video, it should be worth every bit downloaded :)

I'm also very interested in your setup and how you use this method. It's nice to see that im not the only one using vectorscopes and waveform monitors. (Though for the record, i've noted a lot of the posters here use it aswell =)

I'm shooting a very low budget music video this sunday (on my 30th b-day actually :) but will shoot it in normal 4:3 and crop it to 16x9 manually since i do not have any anamorphic lens yet. (If i had a budget, i would have bought one, but i did get a glidecam :)

Regards,
Henrik
Old August 29th, 2002, 10:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Could these effects be duplicated on a XL1 or XL1s?

Ohh i am about to shoot a small starwars movie (i am gonna get sued *grins*) and we really want that huge feel...

Is there anywhere i can get info on how to set up these lighting rigs to get that real dark atmospheric look...

I am really fresh with all this so i need the ultimate kiddy gloves replies.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 02:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I dont see why not, the XL1s has incamera 16:9 has it not? But remember that you wont get any resolution gain unless you edit & output your final to 720p (is that the correct name?) which is 1280x720 in image size. If you are outputting back to DV then you will still be using 720x576 (assuming we're talking PAL). So if you want the 2.35:1 ratio you will crop a large portion of that.

So for the easy answer, if you plan to output the finished result only to video then dont bother. If you have any plans to output to HD or even blowup to film, then this will give you the best result without going to a true HD camera.

/Henrik
Old September 10th, 2002, 03:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Here are some more updates on the project I'm working on. The images are dumps we made from the "god" setup using a PowerBook G4 connected to the PD150 and BTVPro (excellent app!). The images are very low res. These images have not passed through any type of CC or filmlooking yet.

http://www.operafilm.com/campslaughter.html

I'll post more later when I have more time. I'll post images of the camera setup on site.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production