Pixim Chips for higher dynamic range? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Pixim Chips for higher dynamic range?

This may be old news to some of you, but I just read the specs on JVC's TK-WD310U box camera using the Pixim image sensor. here are the links:

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...tsc/tk-wd310u/

www.pixim.com/

2 things that interest me: The camera is in the $700 price range, and it can use C-Mount lenses with an adaptor. My thought is to use my old stock of C-Mount 16mm lenses, shoot through this camera, then feed the composite output into a DV recorder. One of the big complaints in video is not enough dynamic range, which Pixim seems to be addressing. They also have a new sensor that outputs component and SMPTE 125, but I don't know if any products are based on it as of yet.

Pixim seems to be chasing after the CCTV market right now, but this seems like a promising idea for all video cameras. Has anyone seen the output from this camera? Do you think this kind of technology can really expand the latitude of video to approach that of film?
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Major Player

That's a really cool idea for getting a wider dynamic range.

The camera has composite out...maybe there is a HD recorder that has an analog->digital converter and could record the video to a digital version that way?

Also, the camera probably(?) has to have automatic exposure to effectively sample each image (pixel) 5 times and come up with something good. I don't know much about cameras like these, but where are the manual controls? In my opinion it seems like it is better as an idea (the dynamic range system), than this camera is as a product for digital filmmaking, but if you get this cam and create a workable setup, post back.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Trustee

The 310E will give you PAL @ 25fps. Although the NTSC and PAL version list the same 720x540 for 480TV lines @ 380, 000 pixels.
Is it progressive or 16:9? Can't tell. I was really into box cams untill the HD10 came along.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production