Interviews in 24P? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interviews in 24P?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what is the difference between shooting an interview in 60i vs. 24P. By this I mean, while shooting in 24P do you have to do anything different than you would do if you were shooting on 60i. The question includes sound and lighting as well.
Thanks
Mohammad Farooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Major Player

As you know you'll need to pan slowly in 24P to avoid the jitters. I've heard some say that one is more light efficient than the other, but I just ran a test on my A1 with the shutter set at 1/60 and both 24 and 60i both had almost identical light response. 24P does allow you to gather a little extra light if you shoot at 1/48 shutter, which should work well for most interviews. If you have a really sedate subject, you could even get away with 1/24 (as apposed to 1/30 with 60i) if there isn't a lot of hand waving and animated gestures.

If the lighting is decent and you pan slowly and this is a typical interview, I don't think you will be able to tell much difference between 24P and 60i. There just isn't that much going on in most interviews to separate them in my opinion. If you are shooting for internet transmission, you may want to consider 720-30P.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; August 24th, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Trustee

If your search around here you will find that there's nothing to keep you from 24p interviews. There are no intrinsic bugbears that prevent you from capturing them that way.

The larger question is, will your project be 24p? If yes, get it on. If not, remember that you generally want to shoot in the same format as your delivered project. I didn't come up with that. A lot of people much smarter than I did.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Mohammad, does you camera do native 24p? If so your shutter speed should go to 1/48th instead of 1/60th, hence easier to light by about a stop. But 1/48th will be the CORRECT shutter speed.

I haven't shot interlaced in years and I even shoot my friends soccer games in 24p. Makes killer DVD and HD content for iTunes.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ex3

Hi,

I am shooting on a sony ex3, so I can shoot 24P straight on the camera or an external drive. My project is in 24P but I will be delivering in both 24P and 60i. 60i for television release and 24P for DVD release and private screenings. A lot of people have told me to shoot with a 180 degree shutter instead of a 1/48. Why is that?

Thanks
Mohammad Farooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #6
New Boot

Mohammed, a 180 degree shutter is 1/48 when you're shooting at 24p. It is 1/120 when you are shooting 60p.

When people refer to shutters in degrees, they are referring to classic 35mm movie camera conventions. When we refer to shutter speed in fractions of seconds, that comes from the still photography world.

You can research it more yourself if you're interested, but to shoot 180 degree (which is typically the amount of exposure that will result in a natural feeling, "movie" look) you simply set your shutter speed to 1 / 2 X FPS. Hope that helps.
Jimmie Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I will look into what you said.
Mohammad Farooqi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production