LAGUNA BEACH: how is this made? Very well. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 29th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #16

The August 2005 copy of Videography magazine has a two page story on Laguna Beach. Simon was right on. But they also used DVX100A's "for some insert shots or for situations that may be too dangerous for the SDX900's."
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

They also used some aerial footage that my company shot and we use a Sony HDW-700a just in case you guys were wondering. I figured i would throw that in because they do use alot of different footage from different types of cameras. Like for one of their school dances in order to get some footage from that they had one of the "actors" take a camera into the dance and i think it was one of the prosumer type (GL2/vx2000/pd170) cant remember off the top of my head.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #18
Major Player

I think one of the main concern is how they achieved that film look. I love it!

Especially when they do some close ups (like that one I watched last night), it is just way toooo filmic.

But, I still think the whole programe is:
1, Fake
2, Scripted
3, How come it is so film like and we we are sure they did some light settings but we never get to see them, in order words, if it is reality TV, with such look, .. that's not reality.
4, Besides, it's is too perfect to be a reality show. .. way too perfect.
(Some one said the samething about WWF)

Even room raiders, Pimp My Ride, to some extent is real and to some extent is fake. Especially pimp my ride, all the chosen individual knows is that he was selected to be on the show. So all the "he doesn't have an idea that I am going to pimp his ride, per exhibit", all that is fake.

I think they should change Laguna Beach into a sort of CSI/E.R kinda show or something similar instead of a reality show.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:12 AM   #19
Trustee

Having recently severed all my ties with the big bad out of control giant that is MTV.... I can tell you that this show is not fake... but also not real. I think the WWF reference is a good one. There is no "script" but most all the locations are prepped for shooting and they use cameras that are well off and zoomed in. Producers are in constant contact with the kids and they always know the basics of what is going to be said... in some cases they do re-shoots. In some cases they are told to be more emotional, etc.

This is directed reality...most the things being "documented" would either not have happened without the cameras there are at all or happened in other places with less drama. It looks so good because they are using 2/3" CCD cameras that can not only do 24P but have GREAT lenses and a very shallow DOF. They also require less light.

I am currently beginning production on a REAL reality show for Fremantle Media and I am going to try and incorporate some high production values when possible but you simple cant pull it off all the time like they do on LB.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #20
Tourist

Rollergirls on A&E

The prodco behind "Laguna", Go Go Luckey, are also doing "Rollergirls" on A&E. It's got a similar filmic look, and I happened upon a picture that sheds a lot of light (literally) on how they get the look.
Rollergirls Shot Setup

There are more pics here- you can see how elaborately the rollerderby track is lit, too.
Seth Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaw
They constantly change angles during conversations which would be impossible to do without multiple cameras (which they obviously are not using as you don't see any other camera men...).

Funny, I work on tons of multi-cam shoots and you never see the camera operators. I really hope your comment is sarcastic.

But yes it is partially staged from what I understand. And they are using the SDX900 not the DVX100.

Do you think the look of the SDX takes away from the reality feel and makes it seem more narrative? How about the lighting on the show?
Chad Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:55 AM   #22
Major Player

To all.....Laguna Bch reality show does not use actors......their are lots of cameras all over the place and one of the most important things they do to acheive such a nice "look" persay is they "light" almost everything shot.......or use reflectors, scrims, etc....when out on the bch and other mobile locations.

Remember this with ALL reality shows....THEY ARE "PRODUCED".....which means there will be some re takes, scripting, etc.

Watch the credits......and looks at how many writers these shows have.....they tend to have lots of writers for a show that is suposed to be "reality".

Laguna looks great though.....and they shoot many scenes.....with multiple cams......and they are NOT using DVX100's.....NOPE.

THey take a lot of time to light properly.....and they use a DP.......not just camera op's, this makes a huge difference.

I would say that the lighting makes a bigger difference than the cams used.....you can make something average look awsome if you know how to light it.....
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #23
Major Player

During a Laguna Beach shoot, i was walking by in the background, and i got yelled at to get out of the shot. i didnt know what was going on, i was just visting around the place. anyways, it pissed me off, so when they started shooting again, i ran up in front of the camera and pulled down my pants and start yelling like crazy. i got tackled and everything but it was worth it. they then told they were going to use that in the final compostition. i hope they show it.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #24
Major Player

that was smart....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
During a Laguna Beach shoot, i was walking by in the background, and i got yelled at to get out of the shot. i didnt know what was going on, i was just visting around the place. anyways, it pissed me off, so when they started shooting again, i ran up in front of the camera and pulled down my pants and start yelling like crazy. i got tackled and everything but it was worth it. they then told they were going to use that in the final compostition. i hope they show it.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #25
Major Player

....i know. im jk, i hope everyone knows that really didnt happen.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

my neighbor is on the show, its a real big piece of shit. It's sad because i live in such a beautiful place esp. for filming which i love to shoot the ocean, however most of the people in laguna are like the ones on the tv show, i think im the only kid who isn't a complete idiot. Anyways they shoot the show on big pannys - Panasonic AJ-SDX900. It's really pathetic, and yes the show is always set up and completely fake.
Jack Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Should it be illegal to call yourself MTV (Music Television) and never show any music? What the heck does Room Raiders and Laguna Beach have anything to do with music?

But does anyone have links to pics of the scene setups for this show? As I have never really bought into the whole MTV channel anyway.
Robb Swiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #28
Major Player

I don't know about the actual shooting, but there was an article in Post recently about them spending anywhere from 12 to 15 hours correcting each episode on a da Vinci 2k system, heavily using selective defocussing and sharpening.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #29
Regular Crew

hey guys when i see them filming the new season ill snap some pics of their setups for you guys and upload them, from what ive seen they have alot of cameras like sometimes up to 8 or 10. Ill get some pics.
Jack Major is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production