Sony HVR-Z1U Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
Tourist

Sony HVR-Z1U Help!

Hey everyone,

my buddy just bought a sony hvr-z1u and we are trying to get the best film-look possible. Now, we first set the camera to cineframe 24 at 60i and while we are shooting, it seems just a bit choppy. Now, what do i do to smooth everything out when i capture. I keep hearing about something called "pull-down"? not sure what this means, so if anyone can help me i would greatly apreciate it.

right now, we are using adobe premier pro.

should i change some settings before i capture?

Thanks a bunch.
Joseph Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't have the cam, haven't even seen it, but I read on these boards it's cineframe 24 possibility indeed isn't so great.
You could do a search on the boards of the HDV cam.

You could always shoot in 60i and change the look of the framerate with software afterwards.
(I think DVfilmmaker does this - I think that how it's called - or Magic Bullet. Don't know if Magic Bullet does it, but I believe so, it's a plug in for Premiere I believe)

Good luck.

BTW: 24P will never be as smooth as 60i.
Probably you already know this, just wanted to check it.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Try shooting in cineframe 25. It will look much better and is easily converted to 24fps.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Abel Cine Tech

We (Abel CineTech/LA) are doing some testing on all of the cineframe modes on the Z1. We haven't finished yet, but so far we are not impressed with any of the cineframe modes (24cf, 25cf, or 30cf). All of them have the "choppy" motion you indicated. When we played back from the camera to a Panasonic 17" HD monitor (BT-H1700) it was not as obvious but still there. In the 50i mode (both with the 25cf mode and without) we seemed to have an issue with flickering on the monitor. Still looking at the tests and hopefully we should have some results to post soon.
http://www.abelcine.com
Abel Jerrod is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production