DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Pronunciation of common industry brands/words... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/39339-pronunciation-common-industry-brands-words.html)

Richard Alvarez February 2nd, 2005 07:49 PM

Avid as in "Cat Lid" That's how every Avid rep I've ever talked to pronounced it, not to mention every owner and instructor.

Check out a commercial by the Senior Marketing director.

http://avid.com/video/index.asp#

Click on the spot about Avid Xpress Studio, and that's how he pronounces it.

Dylan Couper February 4th, 2005 12:48 AM

Thanks Richard. It always confused me because I've known other products called Avid, and they were always pronounced ay-vid, or eh-vid, up here in Canada.

How abour "bokeh"?

Xiaoli Wang February 4th, 2005 01:14 AM

According to Photonotes.org:

"A term borrowed from the Japanese, pronounced with short vowels. (ie: more like French pronunciation - bo-ké - versus long English diphthongs - bow-kay.)"

Ed Smith February 4th, 2005 03:51 AM

How about:

Matrox

I pronounce it Mate-trox

Adobe:

I pronounce it A-doe-bee.

I have heard it spoken as dol-bee, but I think the guy I was speaking to had a speech impediment???

Richard Alvarez February 4th, 2005 09:54 AM

Yup, again from the manufacturers reps, "May Trox" and "Uh Doh Bee" (Like the bricks)

Joe Carney February 4th, 2005 11:51 AM

Heres' one. My actual birth name.... (Carney is adopted, but yes I have lots of Irish ancestors).

Avielhe.
it's French/Basque origin.

5 stars to the first who can pronounce it properly. (Phonetically here on the forum)
Even the French get it wrong. hehehe

Keith Loh February 4th, 2005 01:24 PM

Just guessing:

AH- VEY

Richard Alvarez February 4th, 2005 01:47 PM

My guess

Ahh VEE yeh

Filip Kovcin February 4th, 2005 02:17 PM

may i ask also?

prononounciation of my name is:

fee-lee-ph covh-cheen,

but i wanted to ask the starter of this thread (Xiaoli Wang) - how to pronounce his name?

just curious.

filip

Filip Kovcin February 4th, 2005 02:19 PM

and now.... THE BEST ONE!!!!!

guys, try this:

the one and only...

CHROSZIEL...

any guesses?

personally i didn't know, and therefore i asked in amsterdam on IBC last year - on CHROSZIEL booth how to pronounce that.

the lady i spoked with - said something, but now i cannot reproduce that.

so, can you find the solution?

thanks,

filip

Xiaoli Wang February 4th, 2005 02:34 PM

Filip, there is really no good English pronunciation of romanized chinese characters, but people call me "show-lee".

I pronounce Chrosziel like Crow-Zeal...but not sure if thats right.

I'm still a little confused about Kino-Flo, didnt really get the explanation. Is it like know-flow, or like keyNO-flow, or am I still wrong?

Richard Alvarez February 4th, 2005 03:18 PM

Kee NO flow or if you prefer Keeno flow

"Crow zhyell" or "Crows yell" but the 'z' sound should be in there.

Marco Leavitt February 4th, 2005 03:21 PM

Where's the accent on that? "CROW zhyell" or "crow ZHYELL." I assume crow is pronounced like the bird?

Filip Kovcin February 4th, 2005 04:07 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Xiaoli Wang : Is it like know-flow, or like keyNO-flow, or am I still wrong? -->>>

keyNo-flow

at least in poland. :)

filip

Richard Alvarez February 4th, 2005 04:43 PM

As I've heard it, the stress is pretty flat across the three syllables of kee no flow. But thats in the south and southwest of America. If anything, a bit more stress on 'kee'. But again, pretty flat.

"crow" as in the bird... and the stress tends to be on the last syllable, but just but barely. "crowzhYELL" Though, to be fair, in French it might be "Kwah"

Guys, these are just my experiences... nothing etched in stone here, I'm no pronunciation authority, just passing on what I've heard in the business.