DFT 55mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DFT 55mm

For those of you who may not know about Digital Film Tool's 55mm filter set this post is for you.

So many people are wanting "The" film look, and they are using deinterlacers, buying new cameras with new frame rates, after effects plugins. But I have to tell you that yes we may in the future get closer to our coveted film look, but in the mean time the best approximation I have seen in helping us get away from cheap video, average video, and yes, even above average video is a great plugin set for Avid, After Effects, and Photoshop; it's called DFT 55mm.

Inside of this filter set you are given plug-ins that simulate black mist filters, diffusion, bleach bypass, grain, and even a plugin that let's you add a light pattern to a scene after you've shot it (this plug in actually works well, when I would expect it to not be worth it's weight in garbage.)

There is so much to it that it amazes me, and the quality you get from a little time spent tweaking settings and rendering it out is fantastic. And even if you don't come out looking like film, you'll come out looking as though you shot it on the best digibeta package out there. This is a must for DV shooters. Go check them out at http://www.digitalfilmtools.com.
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

I am a big believer in Digital Film Tools, stuff. I bought there entire line (for the discount price) and am absolutely thrilled. Their "film look" package, Digital Film Lab, is just amazing and, IMO, blows magic bullet away. Composition suite has a great deinterlacer and 55mm - my god this is the bees knees baby!

Anyone who hasn't checked out what this company is doing really needs to. I spent about an hour on the phone with these guys and they were uber helpful. Just listen to the clients they have and what they're doing with their stuff, if that doesn't convince you to at least check them out, nothing will.

Oh, and all of their programs have a free demo that you can download and play with. GREAT STUFF!!!

Matt
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree that Digital Film Tools is great and also have their suite of tools.

Matt, I was aware that that Composite Suite contains a Deartifact plugin, but where is the deinterlacer?

John
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

My bad, I meant the deartifacter.
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production