Which tiffen soft/fx do I get? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 31st, 2005, 04:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I don't know what the most efficient process is, but using real filters is definitely funner. I used to use Schneider Black Frost filters with our GL1 (until some creep swiped it!), and really liked the look. It took off the edge without making the image look blurry and gave a nice flare to the highlights. They are difficult to use though -- you have to keep a very wide F-stop or the carbon dots in the glass come into focus.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:43 PM   #17
Trustee

Guy, absolutely great video! That's the sort of stuff I like to see before I buy something.

Cheers
Aaron
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #18
New Boot

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I bought a Sony pd170 last summer and have done some shorts and commercials. But I do want to get a little more like film look to my next few projects. I have read what you said here on this thread, but I am still a bit confused on the the whole filter thing. Before I joined the forum I have purchased Tiffen Soft/FX 3, Pro-mist 1, and Black Pro-mist 2 filters. While I like the look they give me on a static shot, I don't like the "rippling" effect that you see when you pan or tilt. Of the filters I like the Pro-mist, so should I go to a Pro-mist 1/2 to get the same look without the ripple, or will it still be there? And if so, is there something else (besides in post)someone can suggest I do to get the look I want? Thanks. Please help out a new guy.
Anthony Cothron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #19
DVCreators.Net

If I understand you correctly, you're "seeing" the filter because you are shooting with a greater depth of field. If you're shooting at F2.0 or so for a shallow depth of field look, you will not "see the filter's glass."

If you're shooting and it's too bright to shoot at F2.0 try:

-Reducing light if possible
-Turning on your camera's built-in ND filter
-Screw on an ND Filter
-Increase your shutter speed
-Decrease gain (on Canon XL2 etc)

-G
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #20
New Boot

Thanks Guy. I increased the iris setting and the shutter speed and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks again.
Anthony Cothron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #21
Major Player

Guy,
That tutorial was awesome.

Do you have other turorials you did for achieving film look and how do you wanna get such softness in post?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #22
DVCreators.Net

Hi Eniola,

Thanks for the praise, it comments like yours that make us want to create more of these free tutorials.

We don't have any online tutorials as of yet, however we do lead live sessions at events on how to achieve a film look http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/...o/QMONYA04OXNG
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Guy. Holly Molly.
Everything is in CA?

I was looking for a way to soften my Sharp XL2 look and you nailed what I needed. I didn't want the trial and error in post.

Thanks mate.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production