Beyond Structure Screenwriting Workshop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 6th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Glad you've read Brody's book. He's a good friend of mine. In fact we were writing partners for awhile and had a great working relationship. If you're going to listen to anybody about writing, it's Brody. And he has quite a few stories to tell as well.

Every year he holds Brodystock and I think he's doing Vegas this year.

As for "to each his own," you're right. But there's a point that we have to ask ourselves, how many books are we going to buy, how many seminars are we going to attend, how much money are we going to spend before it becomes counterproductive?

Most new writers are looking for the magic forumula. And there simply ISN'T one. To paraphrase Bush, "It's haaaard work." And going to seminars may be inspiring, but they're never a substitute for putting your butt in the chair and doing it -- even when it feels like you don't know what the hell you're doing.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Rob, judging from the amateur scripts I've read from my peers (as an amateur myself) I think a lot of people would benefit from even the most basic of seminars or intro-level books. Seminars, intro level books, are supposed to point you in the right direction. The rest is up to the student.

The 'guru' metaphor is probably already killed at this point.

I wholeheartedly agree on your last point. Writers must write in order to get better. "Read another book" is a classic joke from university when you're supposed to be getting a paper done.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #18
Trustee

Well the whole point of going to a seminar/workship is to put your butt in the chair and do it.

It's also an excellent way to sharpen the knife.

Book learning is great, experiencing is great, doing is great, but teachers exist for a reason. No book without a teacher, no practice without a preacher and so on. It's all part of a comprehensive learning process, which hopefully continues until we're pushing up daisies.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Zaidi
Well the whole point of going to a seminar/workship is to put your butt in the chair and do it.

It's also an excellent way to sharpen the knife.
I don't mean to be contrary, but I think it's also a good way to dull the knife. Enough information is helpful but too much can leave a lot of new writers overwhelmed. The only thing that REALLY sharpens the knife is actually doing the writing and solving problems.

I know I keep pushing this point, but I think it's an important one.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Point taken.
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #21
Trustee

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #22
Tourist

beyond structure secrets

Can anyone please reveal these secrets?
Robert Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #23
Tourist

Character Deepening Technique

Can you list at least ten of these?
Robert Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM   #24
Tourist

i signed up for his lecture years ago. i went in, and then at the first break i asked for my money back and left. maybe some people would find it helpful, but i didn't at all. a lot of these gurus can ANALYZE a screenplay, but that's a completely different process than WRITING a screenplay.

i did take a weekend workshop with blake snyder who wrote Save The Cat. it was excellent and i highly recommend it.
Kiyong Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production