what the best software to give film look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

what the best software to give film look?

Hello, I am possibly going to purchase a panasonic GS400 and I am wondering... If I do as much to the camera controls and lighting as possible towards a cinema film look----what would be the best software to finish the job of creating this film look? Or even if I just get a "single chip" handy DVcam, What software is geared toward turning any raw footage toward a film look? Or is this even possible??? Sorry if I've missed posts on this very item. Thanks so much!!!!
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You would get a lot if you did a search. There are a lot of variables also. What platform are you working on, what NLE, etc. I use Final Cut Pro and use Nattres filters, www.nattress.com. Amazing stuff.
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Major Player

too much info

I don't have anything at the moment. You see, we are going to get a new computer, and I plan on getting a decent one to do digital video editing with a WindowsXP OS with a huge hard disk and powerful processor. I have done more research so far on just the digital video cameras and I think I have one chosen, and now I am starting to think about NLE software to get.
I plan on getting all this stuff with our tax return and I want to have everything picked out when the check gets here. I guess I will get some sort of bundled software. You see the more research I do on this stuff, the more "ambitious" I become. I just wanted a decent video camcorder to make home movies of my three year old and I started to discover what these cameras and software can really do. Now I want the best camcorder that I can afford and some powerful tools to edit with and I am actually thinking about making a independent film. (How did this Happen)
It is hard for me not to get excited about this stuff. Anyway, I was just wondering if there is indeed a program that just has a mode or effect to help achieve that film look most of us want. Thanks and sorry about the long reply.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

60i to 24p conversion: Magic Bullet Suite (PC and Mac), DV Film Maker, are some programs that will convert to 24p. Magic Bullet Suite is plug-in for popular editing programs (doesn't include Vegas). Vegas (editing program) will also do 60i to 24p conversion but not as well.

Film gamma curves: An editing program like Vegas or Premiere Pro can do it.

Saturation boost: All editing programs can do this.

That's the easiest things you can do. Film-originated material will still look better, but those things will make video look a lot better. You could also get into color correction/enhancement which can really improve your images, but that takes time and you're probably better off focusing on the content of your films.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

http://img226.exs.cx/img226/8646/0101zx.jpg

http://img226.exs.cx/img226/3410/0207sw.jpg

http://img226.exs.cx/img226/472/0307fu.jpg

some stuff I've been working on.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Great special effects Kyle, how did you get the squirrel to sit still long enough to apply make-up? He He, just a little DV info humor. :)
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Kyle, would you mind divulging the details of your film look technique, aswell as what camera your on? I have a Panasonic GS120 and it's nowhere near as HiDef looking as yours (I assume your on a prosumer cam such as GL1 or maybe even XL1S/DVX100A?)
Steve Wardale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production