I think I need GREEN SCREEN HELP!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1
Trustee

I think I need GREEN SCREEN HELP!!!

Well, I think I am at the end of my rope - but I really need help with this - only it doesn't have to do with green screen technique - it really has to do with packing.

I just got some new green screens today and they arrived via UPS. I love them, they look great - Now I need to put it back in its case to take to where I will need to use it. It won't fit into my car unless properly packed - and I can't figure out how to fit it back into the case.

It is a Botero green screen that folds into a large circle to go into a large zip pouch bag.

It is much like that type of windshield sunscreen. I have never been able to put these things back into their proper folded shape - and I need to know if someone knows where I can find a diagram I can follow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Jon
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Try twisting the whole thing so it looks like the number 8, and then feel it from there, it should fold/collapse one more time after that.

I have the large Botero, and it doesn't always fit into the zipper bag on the first try, I usually have to mess with it a little so it fits.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you, Michael,
It WORKS!!! Thank you so much - Once I applied what you stated, it came together really well and fits very nicely into it's pouch - this one is the 8x16 so it was quite a brute to wrestle at first, but twisting like you said makes it almost fold up on its own. Thanks again.
-J.
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

DOes that 8x16 work? I bought one and ended up returning it. It would not stand up on its own, and is not really 8x16 IMO. More like 7x8 witha floor... But I am curious how it is for pulling a key. I may buy a Bolero in the future.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
DOes that 8x16 work? I bought one and ended up returning it. It would not stand up on its own, and is not really 8x16 IMO. More like 7x8 witha floor... But I am curious how it is for pulling a key. I may buy a Bolero in the future.
Yeah, it pretty much is a 7x8 with a floor, but I really needed the floor component for some full-body motion shots I am doing - and I like the way it can set with the floor slightly curing to ensure smoothness of the light to avoid a seam shadow. It works for me even though perhaps the 8x16 quote is a little mis-leading.
-J.
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Major Player

I feel the need to revive this thread and am feeling pretty sheepish right now...

I recently ordered this botero green screen:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I removed it from the 3 foot diamter zippered pouch, played with it a bit and when it came time to fold the critter back up... I CAN'T GET THE DAMN THING BACK IN THE POUCH!

I can get it to about 6 foot in diameter by first twisting it into a "figure 8" then combining the two halves by sliding them together but somehow I need to get another fold in here.

For those not familiar with this background... it has a 1" metal band sewed inside and around the perimeter of the cloth that's supposed to keep it standing (which it doesn't). Then it has about another 8' or so of loose cloth to spread on the floor.

Any "detailed" guidance here would be appreciated.

I have met the Botero... and I have lost.

- Rick
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I removed it from the 3 foot diamter zippered pouch, played with it a bit and when it came time to fold the critter back up... I CAN'T GET THE DAMN THING BACK IN THE POUCH!

Hi Ric

I have a Lastolite blue screen and a couple of smaller reflectors. My trick is to hold the thing in front of you in your hands,Twist the both hands clockwise (in the opposite direction to each other!), andthis usually flips the thing together!

It took me a while to get used to it (well, alright the wife figured it out!)

Hope this helps
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #8
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

go over to photoflex web site and look at their flex drop2 .. they give instructions on how to fold ..i belive the manual (pdf) has 2 ways to fold it ( they are the same but how you handle it is slightly different)
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Graham & Don. I'll give 'er another go.

And the photoflex instructions Don refers to is here:
http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/p...rop/index.html
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Major Player

If you still need help, post again and I will try MY words...
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
If you still need help, post again and I will try MY words...
Still can't do it. Mine seems to have a mind of it own. Maybe I should just forget it and rent a trailer hauling it that way.

Ok, Bob. Please give this "Botero challenged" videographer a hand.

And to all of you laughing right now... just be that way!

:)

- Rick
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #12
Major Player

There is never a smiley face in this forum when I need one.....

Okay, after intensive study into how to describe the process, using several different sizes and shapes, here goes.

1. This is for a round popup. If it is another shape, either adapt it or tell me shape/dimensions. I have several.

2. Start with hands on opposite sides of ring, and twist it 180 degrees. At this point the thing sort of looks like a figure 8, but be relatively flat. The two edges cross about in the middle.

3. Now, keeping it flat (two dimensional, adjust the shape of the 8 so that 2/3 of 8 is on one side and one third on the other. Picture a really lopsided 8. The two edges should cross 1/3 of the way between your two hands.

4. Once you have the lopsided 8, twist it a bit further in same direction and it will magically fold itself into three circles. Then just push or adjust the sizes so all three circles are the same size and nested together, and you are done.

5. Write back and tell me I am an expert instructor. (If you still have trouble or if your thing is oval/squae, or some other shape and you can't figure it out from these instructions, let me know that too.

Good Luck.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #13
Major Player

That did it Bob! I've been trying to get the damned thing into "Four" circles!

Quote:
Write back and tell me I am an expert instructor.
You are a botero ace in my books!

Now... how do I get it into the washing machine?

- Rick
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
That did it Bob! I've been trying to get the damned thing into "Four" circles!

You are a botero ace in my books!

Now... how do I get it into the washing machine?

- Rick
Doesn't yours come apart?
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Doesn't yours come apart?
Not without scissors (which at this juncture is sounding mighty tempting).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production