Action/Cut Filmmaking Seminars/DVD by Guy Magar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Action/Cut Filmmaking Seminars/DVD by Guy Magar

Has anyone used the DVD set Action/Cut Filmmaking by Guy Magar?

It's based on his seminars by the same title, and is recommended by Scott Billups in his book "Digital Moviemaking."

Based on the web site and Billups' recommendation it looks like a great package for $350. But I'd like to hear from any of you who have actually been to his seminar, or used the DVD set. What's your evaluation?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Wilie
Has anyone used the DVD set Action/Cut Filmmaking by Guy Magar?

It's based on his seminars by the same title, and is recommended by Scott Billups in his book "Digital Moviemaking."

Based on the web site and Billups' recommendation it looks like a great package for $350. But I'd like to hear from any of you who have actually been to his seminar, or used the DVD set. What's your evaluation?
I'd advise spending that $350 on making your own movie. Learn by doing, not watching. And if you really want something to watch, just watch a lot of movies and pay CLOSE attention to the various techniques.

I see no reason to spend that kind of money on a DVD.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #3
New Boot

Good little starter video..

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/sav.html
If you are just starting, a long time ago, I picked up this little video CD. It goes over some really good basics.. but I agree with the person above, JUST DO IT, you will learn WAY MORE!

James
James Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You could also pick up the first two seasons of Project Greenlight on DVD. That would probably be just as good as the DVD your meantioning.

Court
Courtney Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

If you need a tutorial on anything its editing. Almost everything else you can learn most of what you need to know from the internet or just experimenting.

If you just searched through these forums you'd find enough info to complete a good feature length film.

If anything buy some of Robert Rodriguez's movies and watch his 10 min film school in the dvd extras (take it with a grain of salt he gets carried away alot). At least after your done with that you'll have a good movie to watch. Plus it will cost you $20 at the most.

Really those kinds of dvd's are best for inspiration...it makes you want to go out and start doing things. So if you need that and that is worth $350 then by all means go for it.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

Guys, I think Pete is looking for feedback from someone who has actually used this educational tool.

I for one think that books and training DVDs are great ways to learn film techniques, although I don't have an opinion on this one. Sure, nothing beats going out and shooting a movie, but if you don't have basic tools first, you are going to waste a lot of time.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes Dylan, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

This training DVD set is an advanced filmmaking training. I was impressed by the fact Scott Billups recommended it.

Nothing teaches like actual experience, trial and error. But if we all had to invent flimmaking from the beginning, most of us wouldn't get very far.

I personally like a combination of training, books, and real-life experience. I particularly like the computer-based DVD training because it allows you to go at your own pace. If you need to stop, think about what is being taught, maybe even try it out for real, this is easy enough to do, then continue on.

Anyway, it appears that most folks here don't favor the DVD training route. And that's fine. Each person learns differently.

Best Regards,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I guess your right, Pete. I guess I'm just a bit biased against it because the video cd that came with '$30 filmschool' was just terrible. But even then I'd say I learned something. I just find it hard to believe that there could be $350 worth of knowledge in that DVD that you couldn't get elsewhere. But if someone does have some actual experience with it I might even consider it.

The problem I think lies in the question of what is "advanced". If there opinion of what advanced is lies in things that aren't advanced to you...you'll be doing alot of fast forwarding. The truly advanced business concepts to me such as (from the website):

Quote:
- FINANCING SET-UP & SAMPLE CONTRACTS
- BUDGETING & SCHEDULING YOUR FILMS
- DISTRIBUTION DEAL EXAMPLES
Things like that...its probably better to spend that $350 on a lawyer/accountant
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm a total beginner at filmmaking and I have a full time job so I've been exploring these seminars and DVD-based training options too.

We've all heard that film school is useless and the best education is to make a movie. But I also like to have a mix of live training, computer-based/books and practical experience.

The majority opinion on the Action/Cut seminar is positive, but I agree with the comment that these seminars are more for inspiration than practical experience or training. The Dov Simens weekend course gets less positive reviews and seems to be less hands-on and more about the business side and producing. There is also something strange about a person who is maybe not that successful at filmmaking telling you how to be successful at filmmaking...

If you are looking for more hands-on training in writing, directing and editing you may want to look into one of the "Weekend Film Schools". There are a few offered in NY, probably even more in LA. Again, you are not going to leave there knowing everything but I'm sure there is some value and they look to be fun also. Typically in these you'll leave with a finished short project. You'll work with cameras and editing equipment. Very hands on. These are different than the "filmmaking seminars" where you sit in a room and just listen.

http://www.screenstyle.com/wefisc.html
http://www.nyfa.com/program/filmmaking/index.html

As for computer or DVD based training, one of the best I've found is "How to make your movie: an interactive film school" This gets great reviews and is a good beginner package and is only $60.

http://www.interactivefilmschool.com/

Here is an interesting marketing job. This indie filmmaker made a feature and documented the process, turning that into a film school on DVD. I've just ordered this but haven't received it yet.
http://www.filmschoolondvd.com

Another really good (but beginner) and affordable one. DVCreators' Shooting Awesome Video
www.dvcreators.net/products/sav.html
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production