What does AD do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 5th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What does AD do?

What is AD responsible for on the plan. Can anybody give me the accurate directions and what AD should do on the plan???
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I assume you are talking about an Assistant Director?

The AD is responsible for directing "extra's" on set. If I'm not mistaken he (or
she) is also yelling "silent, sound, rolling" etc. However I could be wrong on that.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Major Player

From what I have seen on Project Greenlight, the AD is THE person that keeps everything moving and everyone on schedule. The director works with the DP and the main actors, the AD does everything else.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Trustee

This may help.

http://www.skillset.org/film/jobs/article_3649_1.asp
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Job titles are less defined, the further you get from "hollywood" level productions. But strictly speaking, the AD "bosses" the set. He is the voice and arm of the director, freeing him up to be creative. When the caterer arrives on set, and needs to know where to set up, and who will write the check, the AD takes care of it, so the director is not disturbed. He keeps the show running on schedule. He reminds the director, ever so politely, when they are running behind. He makes sure the actors are standing by and ready to go on when their call comes up. IN short, just about everything an "indy" director wishes he wasn't doing while making a movie, an AD does for him on a larger set.

Oh, I see Imran has posted a nice link... that's a good summation.

(I've been a 1st AD, and the expression "Busier than a one-armed paper hanger" comes to mind.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Okay so what does the second second AD do ? LOL
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #7
Major Player

He's the other arm. Shiva would be popular on most sets.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Major Player

First Assistant Directors generally run the set from a logistic and time management point of view, they are often involved in scheduling the day's shooting and making sure the film stays on schedule and under budget during the shooting stage. In fact they are responsible to the producer and the production manager rather than the director. If principle photography goes over budget and/or over schedule the 1st AD is often the first one replaced, whereas he or she is not responsible for post schedules and budgets.

The 2nd AD organises and liaises with the cast, will often be in charge of call sheets and getting the talent to the set on time. They will also look after cast paperwork and itinerary, make sure contracts are up to date, and may arrange accomodation and travel for key actors.

The 3rd AD (who is sometimes called the Second Second AD) is in charge of extras, unless it's a pretty demanding action sequence (battle scenes etc.) when the stunt co-ordinator or a more senior AD may step in to organise the more technically demanding background action work.
At least this is the "Hollywood" model, and generally the model around the world now.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; May 6th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production