Making props at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 21st, 2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

Making props

I have a specific question but I left the subject header intentionally general so that others could add to this if they had specific props they needed to build.

"GUNBRELLA".
I need to make an umbrella that has a gun barrel protruding from the tip. It's one of those long umbrellas that has a point. My thought is to glue an iron tube over the tip long enough that it won't reveal the tip. Or hack off the tip too so that it won't show inside the barrel. Am I on the right track?

What glue do I use? It has to bear up to a day of abuse of tapping and swinging around.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'd glue the extra length of tube over the end. Use JB Weld, it'll hold anything together. Found at Canadian Tire.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Another thing to do is to make not one but several identical umbrellas. That way, IF one breaks when you are shooting, you don't have to literarely sit and wait for the glue to dry :) And a umbrella and some pipe shouldn't be to expensive. If you have to pay for the crew, its more expensive to have them wait for the prop to be fixed than it is to make a few extra props.

/HuBBa
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Air China Pilot

A professional prop maker I've spoken to online recommended something called 5-minute glue. So I will search that out. Maybe that's what you're talking about Dylan. Off to Home Depot I go tonight.

I have two umbrellas but unfortunately no back up beyond that (lack of funds). And both are actually used together in one scene.

The Gunbrella isn't opened except in one scene and we may film that farther back so it is not apparent that it is the gunbrella.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Keith, don't make Paul Sedillo and myself fight you for the right to use umbrellas as weapons in the DVDA project.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

I haven't closed the door on using umbrellas as weapons. You can do whatever you want :P
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:24 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

I know. . .I was just funnin' ya. I wonder how many others thought of umbrellas as weapons?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Gun or no gun.. an umbrella can be a very ugly weapon. Metal spike in one end, hook in the other? Who needs a gun :)

/Henrik "Swinging the umbrella going Hiyaaaah!"
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:11 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

Well, (like everyone else) I originally wanted to do nothing but have a martial arts fight with umbrellas but it occured to me that despite having a roommate who did kungfu, I'd rather not have the liability of having people killed on my second short.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:47 PM   #10
_redone_

try plumbers epoxy....its like cement, and dries in 15 minutes..

it come in handy for practically anything.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:57 PM   #11
Air China Pilot

Thanks. I have a list of different glues to look at now. And if some of them don't work out, I can sniff them.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:12 PM   #12
Wrangler

Keith. JB Weld kicks the ass of every other adhesive out there.
Bring some glue to keep your crew high on the set as well. Things will go smoother.

Oh, I have the feeling that the cost of extra umbrellas will eclipse the amount being paid to the crew. ;)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:39 PM   #13
Major Player

also check out glue brand called HOT STUFF. this will bond anything especially plastics/rubber etc.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #14
Air China Pilot

The Gunbrella

I ended up using a 5-minute glue on the Gunbrella barrels. The outer one glued nicely to the umbrella, but the inner barrel came loose during filming, probably because I tried to use a combination of gum and 5 minute glue.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:32 PM   #15
Wrangler

Shoulda used JB Weld. :)
On the other hand, I should have remembered I had electrician's tape in my gear bag much ealier in the day when we first started having problems with it.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production