smoke/fog machine for music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

smoke/fog machine for music video

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but does anyone have any knowledge of smoke/fog machines?

I'm looking for a relatively affordable one, under $100 to use in a music video.

Could anyone suggest one?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I see a lot of them in "party supply" and craft stores, especially around Halloween. They are also relatively ubiquitous on the web. Cosco (not Costco) is a brand name that springs to mind.

They come in water-based and oil-based. Unless you want an oily slick all over everything when you're done shooting, I'd stick with water-based.
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We just bought one to add to our music gigs. The best place to look is under dj equipment.

Are you going to be inside or out? That'll make a difference to see how much cubic feet you'll need to cover. Some of the midrange foggers have timers on the remote so you can set and forget about it.

We bought this one:
American DJ Dyno-Fog II Fog Machine and more Fog, Bubble & Snow Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Check some out some others here:
Fog, Bubble and Snow Effects including Elation, Chauvet, and Lighting
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As well, are you SURE you want a fog machine? Fog machines look like... FOG. Thick opaque smoke that you can't see much through until it thins out. Also lowers overall contrast ratio if used full frame.

If you are looking for that volumetric light look (where you can see light emanating from it's sources as it was a cone), you are looking for a HAZER - significantly more expensive.
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Chapman View Post
We just bought one to add to our music gigs. The best place to look is under dj equipment.

Are you going to be inside or out? That'll make a difference to see how much cubic feet you'll need to cover. Some of the midrange foggers have timers on the remote so you can set and forget about it.

[/url]
Its going to be inside. for the guitar solo I want to emulate the feel of being at a concert. The subject in front of a black backdrop and the smoke/fog coming from behind the subject, and possibly the back or fill light using a blue gel illuminating the smoke/fog.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

One of those foggers I mention will work for your cause. With foggers, it's best to let it spray out and then the air will even out. We've done some photos with some and after you color it, they look great.

My only other word of advice is that with water based foggers, they evaporate quicker than using oil based foggers/hazers. If you decide to get one, play with it before you need it on shoot day.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The other thing I want to try is the subject walking into the smoke and slowly appearing after it fades away. Like what you would see in a Film Noir movie. I hope that makes sense
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If Film Noir is the style your going for, it'll sounds like you are getting on the right track. Make sure you have a pretty strong light to spill through the fog.

I forgot to mention, we found out using water based fog is very very sensitive to air movement and wind. If you want it to disappear faster, work on cueing a fan with the fog to blow it away or backwards from your actor. It could give you pretty cool effect.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Does anyone know anything about this one? Its pretty cheap

Lee Tamer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production