Properly securing a cemetery location at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Properly securing a cemetery location

I'm shooting a short experimental film which takes place in a cemetery. So far on other projects it's been pretty obvious who we need to get permission from to shoot a location and get the proper releases in order, but in the case of a cemetery, who owns the loc?

If all else fails I plan on trying to track down whoever mows the lawn and go from there, but any insight is appreciated!
http://2soc.net
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Trustee

I would call the appropriate local government office (City Hall, County Courthouse, etc.) and talk to whoever maintains the land records, such as the county or city clerk. They can tell you who owns the cemetery. Probably less hassle than chasing down the grounds keeper.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

Jason, call a funeral home and ask them who owns that particular cemetary.
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis
I would call the appropriate local government office (City Hall, County Courthouse, etc.) and talk to whoever maintains the land records, such as the county or city clerk. They can tell you who owns the cemetery. Probably less hassle than chasing down the grounds keeper.
Chris, thanks for the tip.

Turns out the city owns the lot that I'm interested, and they told me that since they don't have a permitting process for filmmaking that I could use any of the city's land so long as we leave it in the condition it was in originally.

Gotta love small towns!
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Great news. I'm over here in small-town Minnesota, and that's the exact response I would have expected.

Well, either that or "We don't have a permitting process, so you can't do it!"
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

All I can say is, my friends have "stolen the shot" via "run and gun/guerilla filmmaking," but I'm not recommending it. Not that anything happened. They did go handheld, though...

heath
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Funny thing, we ended up not using the cemetery at all, but a completely different bit of city land.

The irony is that even after talking with the city and getting permission, one of the local businesses is convinced that we were taping them and got all worked up about it.

I guess it just goes to show that no matter how much you do ahead of time you still need to plan for exceptions.
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production