Crew for Travel program? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Crew for Travel program?

I was recently asked to film an 'Anthony Bourdain' type travel program. The setup will be following the host around as they talk to various people and tour various places.

I've never done anything quite like that. I have 2 cameras, a Canon 7D and a JVC HD100. I was thinking ideally we'd have 2 shooters (1 with each camera, the 7D with stabilization rig), and an audio person. I have an H4N for audio.

Does that sound right to you guys? The only way I can imagine doing it alone is for me to be a shooter, and the host to have a handheld microphone with some wireless transmitter to something feeding the H4N. The host then has to be good with holding the mic properly when talking to interviewees.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think Anthony Bourdain has two camera people, maybe a separate sound person, a producer and maybe even a second producer. It can take way too long to shoot with a single camera. You must shoot all those reverses, etc. Even with a single camera you often need more folks to hold a light, bar the door so people don't walk in front of the camera, etc., etc., etc.
Other travel shows, I think Globe Trekker, does shoot as you describe but typically they don't rely as heavily on interviews. Those are shot documentary style with a single person doing stand ups and wraparounds news style. The real issue, I think, is the show's design and how that dictates the shooting schedule. That in turn impacts the budget. Think about what needs to happen in each episode and what that will look like. Next figure out how fast you will need to make that happen. Crew requirements and gear will be dependent on these variables.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Trustee

For many years I made programmes for British Airways - we always used two people, me on camera plus a sound operator. Mind this was with Betacam-SP and separate sound. Today I might be tempted to work alone - depends on the budget and how many Iron Curtain airlines we have to use ie you don't trust the baggage section..
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Why not find out their per episode budget and work from there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production