Question about lighting and slow motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about lighting and slow motion

I'm hoping I can get some feedback on how to shoot good slow motion shots. When shooting something you want to look good in slow motion I understand you crank up the shutter speed, but my question is how do you compensate for the decrease in light allowed in with higher shutter speeds so that the lighting matches the regular motion shot? Do you just add a light to the subject? Is there another way of shooting good slow motion?
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Contributor

Dan,

I think you should do a search about this. There are a lot of threads that deal with slow motion.

But there are two things I can quickly help you with. There are no prosumer cameras, that I know of, which can do true slow motion. This is because increasing the "shutter speed" only really decreases the length of the exposure time on most video cameras. The number of frames per second remains constant, thus no slow motion. There are however, some dicusions as to how you can optimize how you shoot for slowing things down in post. Things like progressive scan, or interlace, can have varying effects on how things will look in the end depending on what you are planning to shoot.

As for compensating for loss of light due to shorter exposure times, you can increase the size of the lens aperture (smaller number) or add light. In general, I would say that you should use the light you would use for normal shooting, only brighter.

I hope that this is of some help

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply, that was very helpful.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi, I keep the shutter at 1/120 or higher for post production slo-mo's. Since my "regular- motion" shots are lit for 1/30 shutter, I usually have to add more light.

-a
Andrew Burke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production