getting smooth motion.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 12th, 2002, 05:47 PM   #1
Major Player

getting smooth motion....

Looking for tips on how to get smooth (no surge) motion from a tracking dolly - especially for truck and pan shots.

I wish the motion to be very slow and I find it difficult to maintain a constant velocity at very slow speeds without some jerkiness.

Would fitting brakes help to reduce the jerkiness since the dolly could be pushed harder?
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 02:23 AM   #2
Wrangler

I wouldn't recommend brakes or drag, they will make it harder to achieve the results you desire (imagine operating a tripod head with the locks partially engaged).

The more inertia, the smoother the ride. Try piling extra weight onto the dolly, like sandbags etc. Or adding another rider.

A lot depends on the dolly you are using (and track if applicable). The bearings and the wheels need to be smooth, as does the track (try talcum powder or Lemon Pledge if the track is sticky or squeaky)

Good luck...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production