Sliders, Sliders everywhere but which way to go? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sliders, Sliders everywhere but which way to go?

Hi all,
I have decided to purchase a slider for my Canon T2i but the options seem to be abundant with lots of pros and cons for all of them. Budget, right now, is my concern. I had narrowed my search down to:

1) Glidetrack SD Shooter (http://www.glidetrack.com/glidetrack-shooter-sd.html)
2) IndiSliderMini Deluxe (indiSYSTEM - indiSLIDERmini)
3) Micro Motion Slider (Micro Motion Slider Camera Slider) or Motion Slider 24 (24PHD- Motion Slider 24 Camera Slider)

I didn't include the DP Slider as it was out of my price range. It also seems that, when factoring overseas shipping, the Glidetrack SD Shooter is also out of my price range. I didn't believe I would be using the shoulder support aspect of it much.

Right now I am looking at the IndiSliderMini Deluxe. Youtube clips looked nice AND it includes the Pistol Grip Ball mount so I wouldn't have to purchase one...thus saving me money. Was reading, though, that costumer support for IndiSystems isn't so hot.

The Micro Motion Slider looks like it is built better but seems to be a lot less rail then the IndiSliderMini and Glidetrack SD (correct me if I am wrong). A step up to the Micro Motion Slider 24 gives a longer slide but doesn't come with legs like the Micro.

So, choices...choices... I am sure there are sliders out there that I missing and have watched tutorials on building my own (YouTube - Build a DIY Slider for $20 : Backyard FX).

So, forum videographers...what are you suggestions on this great Slider Debate of 2011.? :p
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sliders, Sliders everywhere but which way to go?

Hi Robert,

I just ordered this 30" Glidetrack from B&H photo. They have hassle free delivery to Canada. You pay shipping and Duty when you order and it's cheaper than shipping from the UK.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748300-REG/Glidetrack_SD_075_SD_Slider_29_5.html
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Major Player

if youre on a budget, try the konova being offered at cheesycam, it is smoother than the glidetrack shooter.// i have a glidetrack shooter and if given a choice in the past, i would have bought a different one.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

-Anyone have any experience with the MotionSlider 24 or Micro? 24PHD- Motion Slider 24 Camera Slider
Micro Motion Slider Camera Slider

I should have noted that I have about $200 to spend on either a fully assembled slider or build one myself (though I'd prefer something already put together)...that makes the aboved mentioned one on cheesycam out of my budget unless I was looking at the wrong thing.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What do you think about the Dual Dolly RS show here: Dolly/Track Systems | eFilmGear
Video here: YouTube - Dual Dolly RS Demo

I like the idea that the dolly doesn't stay locked to the track and, thus, can be used without it on flat surfaces and up walls.

Thoughts?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Robert,

If budget is one of your worries, check this out:

This is the Igus online store. You can order the exact parts that are used in brand name sliders, drill one hole and you're set, for a fraction of the price.

I contacted Igus, and the rep told me shipping would be $40 with no duty, as it ships from their Toronto warehouse. I ended up making a dolly instead, but all reviews are good on this product.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Looks like everything at that link is currently unavailable. I read that Igus parts stick a lot. Any truth to that?

Also, do you find it better to have the dolly not able to be removed from the track unlike the Dual Dolly RS which can also come off and work on floors/tables and up walls as a standalone. That one is cheaper and seems to give more flexibility.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Hmmm, when I checked recently, it was all in stock.

I've not heard that the Igus parts stick. Only read great reviews.

As for the Dual Dolly RS, I had considered that as well, because it looks much more versatile. But when I watched the demo:

Dual Dolly Rs Demo

I wasn't that impressed with the smoothness. Though I guess that could be the operator, who knows.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Really, Vito? I didn't find there to be any shake. Can you point out an aspect of the clip you saw this in?

I found the Ignus parts you are looking at. Overall, it would cost about $200 it seems from what I gather.

What is bother me now are sites like IndiSliderMini and Motion Slider not returning my emails. That is just poor business and makes me wonder if they are even still shipping this stuff out let alone the quality of it when it arrives.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Robert,

The GlideTrack and others use the Igus track/carriage. While there are issues with some sticking, you do get what you pay for. If you want a better slider, you have to pay more money. DP Slider, Cinevate Atlas 10, GlideTrack Hybrid, etc.,
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
Really, Vito? I didn't find there to be any shake. Can you point out an aspect of the clip you saw this in?
I don't see "shake". More like hesitation, as if it's difficult to produce a truly smooth movement. Perhaps because there's no resistance on the track?
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund Reboquio View Post
if youre on a budget, try the konova being offered at cheesycam, it is smoother than the glidetrack shooter.// i have a glidetrack shooter and if given a choice in the past, i would have bought a different one.
I just checked this out over on Ebay and then found that if you go to their site you get Free Shipping which comes out to be 30 bucks cheaper when you count shipping over on Ebay. Sounds like a good deal. Also comes with a little tool kit to tighten/loosen the bearings and a bag to transport it in.

(Konova Photo&Video)

I liked how you could mount it many different ways.

However, the slider seems to be new on the market as I can't find any firm reviews or many test videos outside of one guy on Youtube.

Anybody here have one? Thoughts?

Oh yeah, and I wrote them like I did IndiSlider and Camera Motions and, unlike them, I got a reply. In fact, their rep Frank wrote me back within an hour and a half. That's a good start.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Major Player

I just purchased it last week.
they have a review at cheesycam.com

from what ive seen, parts, and mechanism, it is not different than the dpslider and atlas 10 (im not sure though)
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Major Player

I love their overview. A couple of highlights:

"The stable and smooth takes are the basic elements of the film art. Photos took accurately facilitate perception of content correctly and improve values of ultimate version of the movie.

The dolly moves very smooth on the rail so one should subtly remove it in chosen direction, the take supervising."

This could be a good deal.
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

here are two reviews:
Konova Camera Slider | DSLR Film Noob
Konova Roller Bearing DSLR Slider – Review CheesyCam
I was hoping to find any review about this slider with bigger camera's like mine (PMW-350)

Any slider recommendations for "heavy" camera?
anyone using any kind of slider for big camera's not Dslr? i've been looking around to see any review about any kind of slider used with a camera like PMW-350 or same size or weight but all that i have found is sliders for 5D 7D etc...anyone having good results with a camera that is big with slider that doesn't cost too much?

Last edited by Samer Aslan; March 13th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production