shooting a montage advice... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

shooting a montage advice...

Hi all

i was asked by a friend to shoot a montage at a cultural event, the setting is as follows

the event will take place in a school hall, all the attendees will be seated on the floor with performers seated at the front, my question is, what shots should i plan to take, i would be limited as i wont be able to sit among them, but would be able to have access around them...

Any inputs ideas, camera angles etc?

regards
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: shooting a montage advice...

This technique might be useful
Video: The five shot rule
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: shooting a montage advice...

Here's one suggestion:

1. Shoot a wide angle group shot of the entire performance from the best angle possible.
2. Shoot each performer individually. Try to capture the essence of their performance.
3. Look for interesting relationships between performers. Then try a 2 or 3 (or whatever) shot combinations until you think you've had enough.
4. Look for interesting things like arms playing, etc, costumes, props, whatever and shoot those in tight closeups.
5. Turn around and shoot the audience as a whole for two or three angles.
6. Walk about and shoot individual audience members enjoying the performance
7. Shooting other interesting people/stuff that is relevant to your task

It will help if you know the performance beforehand so you can anticipate the best times to shoot each performer. All the best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production