Can I buy a composite>VGA converter with inputs for multiple devices? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I buy a composite>VGA converter with inputs for multiple devices?

I need to connect two different camcorders to two different VGA screens. To do this, I know I need a converter. Do i need a separate converter for each one? Does anyone sell a converter box that lets you hook up multiple devices?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Can I buy a composite>VGA converter with inputs for multiple devices?

If its either component or composite, then the converters are standard.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
I need to connect two different camcorders to two different VGA screens. To do this, I know I need a converter. Do i need a separate converter for each one? Does anyone sell a converter box that lets you hook up multiple devices?
This could be interpreted a couple ways. Assuming the obvious of hooking one camera up to one projector and the other camera up to the other projector is not what you meant, are you saying you have two projectors (1 and 2), two cameras (A and B) and you want to be able to show camera A or B on projector 1 and at the same time, show camera A or B on projector 2? You want audio with that video?

Most projectors accept composite video but assuming that's not an option based on your post, there's two separate things you need done by either one box or several.

1) Scaler: Each camera output has to be scaled up to VGA
2) Matrix (aka Router): 2 VGA inputs neet to be routed to two VGA outputs
This approach requires a 2x2 VGA router with a built-in scaler or to do it with multiple boxes, you need two scalers and a 2x2 VGA router. Search B&H for those devices..... here's a 4x4 VGA matrix with audio
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749627-REG/Atlona_AT_VGA0404_A_4x4_Professional_VGA_with.html
An alternative approach is to use a 1x2 composite distribution amp on each camera that gives you two composite lines per camera, then put them thru a 2x1 composite switch and then scale to VGA. There are variations on this depending on what boxes may do some of these steps built-in. Here's an example of a multi-function box you might create a design around:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/456570-REG/FSR_MAS_3200_MAS_3200_Scaler_Switcher.html
BTW, you need to know what resolution your projectors run at, VGA isn't precise enough.... you could get a box that doesn't scale up to the resolution that your projectors run at....
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another thing I forgot to mention is sync. When you switch video signals, you want a clean switch without breakup. Professional devices let you provide a sync signal to the devices so operations line up. You also need a master signal generator or black burst device.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production