First TV commercial - advice needed UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Major Player

First TV commercial - advice needed UK

Hey folks, wedding videographer venturing into commercial work.

What do I need to know? The company have given me a very brief brief. They probably don't know much about what they are doing either. They gave me an example of what they want - here it is.

They want two actors, which I think they are going to source rather than me.

Is there anything I need to be aware of technically that wouldn't matter for my usual wedding work for internet and DVD. Frame rates, resolution etc?

I think most TV in UK is still 720p. Am I wrong? Does that mean i deliver 720? or do the TV people downscale it?

Next up - I'd like to bring in another guy, a friend of mine, just so we can share opinions on how to make things happen. Can you give me some ideas for what 'title' I could put on him for invoicing purposes. The company will no doubt question the need for a second guy - I may need to sell it.

What would be a typical cost for the above linked commercial assuming it was aired on TV?

Sorry for all the questions, Hopefully some of you can help me out!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: First TV commercial - advice needed UK

That video is now private, can't see it.

Always try to get delivery specs before you shoot. Shoot in the highest resolution possible, you can always downres. Sound is *very* important. Tell your client the cost is the same whether you bring another person or not. Commercial production cost varies immensely, treat it like any other shoot day and charge what you would for any other client.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production