Which cam for less than 5000 bucks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Which cam for less than 5000 bucks

I guess if I'd be willing to spend more, but not a lot more and go for this: Sony NEX-FS700R

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010197-REG/sony_nex_fs700rh_4k_nxcam_super_35mm.html
I'd be all set?
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Inner Circle

That is a lot of camera for the money. I have one and I like using it. Its ergonomics are bizarre but OK once you learn where everything is located.

That lens is a little slow but usable. I'm not a big fan of the servo driven lenses like that one since they have zero feel and the focus is unpredictable because its speed sensitive. I did buy my FS700 with the 18-200mm lens and I do use it some.

There are lens adapters so you can use vintage lenses or other SLR lenses. I mostly use some vintage Canon FD lenses.

The FS700 is in my opinion one of the better options to get a video camera with more traditional features and good reliability. Be sure to get a few extra batteries if you intend to use the high speed mode. The batteries are consumed about 50% faster when shooting at high frame rates.
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Chris.
I don't do too much hand held filming, almost exclusively tripod work.
So now that I'm above 6500 bucks, should I look at the URSA?
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Someone else will have to jump in and talk about the URSA since I'm not a fan of BM cameras. I personally don't think they are ready for prime time based on some limited time with them.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #20
Trustee

I've never used an URSA but I did price up a package recently. Once I added a battery solution and enough media for a full day of shooting, it worked out close to $10,000.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Major Player

I think I'm going to probably go with this Canon: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086125-REG/canon_eos_c100_cinema_eos.html
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:16 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

That's a great camera -- you won't be disappointed. Just be aware that there is no servo zoom with this set-up.

Correction: there *are* servo zoom lenses available for Cinema EOS but they're rather expensive! What I meant to say is, you'll most likely be using still photo lenses with this camera, which are not motorized nor do they have long zoom ratios... but those factors don't have to be considered as hinderances.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Chris, I'm primarily interested in fiction, so no problem for me.
Still debating though, we'll see. But I like that canon.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:14 PM   #24
Major Player

I wonder what the JVC GY-LS300 will end up being like? Price is amazing!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096581-REG/jvc_gy_ls300_4kcam_handheld_s35mm.html
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #25
Trustee

This decision is exciting to think about but not really a lot of fun to make...

I made the switch to DSLR shooting with the 5dMkII, since then I've purchased the 7D, 70D, and 5D3. I currently shoot stills with the 5D3 and love it and until recently I shot all my video with it as well.

The only reason I'm chiming in now is that if you decide to go the DSLR route, and there are a lot of challenges that have already been mentioned, then you really should take a look at the GH4.

I think the GH4 is as much of a game changer for DSLR video as the 5dMkII was. I was considering the Canon C100 but when the Metabones Speed Booster adapter for Canon lenses became available I decided to try the GH4 and now shoot everything in 4K.

I think for the price its an awesome camera and depending on your lenses you should also consider the Sony A7s.

I shoot a lot of run and gun which is really problematic with a DSLR style camera, however I'm able to be very unobtrusive and shoot in locations that I probably wouldn't be able to with a shoulder mounted camera and the results can be stunning. Also, I rarely have any help so I appreciated the portability and how much easier and efficient it is to deploy a variety of different kinds of camera mounts like jibs, dolly's and gimbals.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Chuck,
I'm actually seriously considering the GH4. I do not shoot any run and gun stuff, and if I even need to, it's going to be non professional and I'll use my XH-A1, which is more than adequate for YouTube for Vimeo.

I'm shopping for a cam to do shorts and narrative where everything will be controlled and yes, after considering several cams, including the Sony Sony NEX-FS700R, The coming Sony PXW-FS7 as well as the New Canon C100 and the blackmagic lines, I must say that the GH4 looks better and better, especially that I already have decent sound acquisition equipment. I could probably get two GH4.
I'm wondering, what lens would you recommend for general fiction on the GH4?
Thanks
L.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Inner Circle

There are plenty of very good lenses for the gh4, a good alround lens is the 12-35mm f2.8 and if you can afford it complete it with a 35-100mm f2.8 lens both stabilised and splash and dustproof. The olympus lenses are also very good, the 12mm f2.0, the 75mm f1.8 are 2 of my favourite ones, all very sharp lenses but not stabilised. The panasonic 25mm f1.4 is also a very good lens. Olympus also has their pro line, where you have got the 12-40 and 40-150mm f2.8, expensive lenses but again very good ones but not stablised.

There is so much choice really, you also could consider Samyang/Rokinon if you don't mind no stabilisation and all manual, they are not as tacksharp as pannasonic or Olympus lenses but they are a joy to manual focus with and have stepless aperturerings and are good value for what they cost. I had all all their lenses but sold them for panny and oly lenses because I prefer autofocus and stabilisation on some lenses.

Last edited by Noa Put; February 24th, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Noa!
What do you mean by stabilization?
Is it relevant if I do everything on a tripod?
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I mean lenses that have build in image stabilisation so you can shoot handheld, if you only work on a tripod you don't need that, these lenses have a switch to turn of the stabilisation if needed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #30
Major Player

That's what I thought, thanks!
When you talked about the 12-35mm f2.8 you meant this one?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production