Can somebody point me to that kind of footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Can somebody point me to that kind of footage?

I currently use a canon XF305 and sometimes I play with my neighbor's BMPCC. I haven't had the time to become an expert at grading the BMC with the free version of Resolve. But I really can see the potential of all the Black Magic Cams. I've also watched many videos on Vimeo or Youtube and I must say these cams are producing beautiful images when graded properly.

So in the last month I've spent, or some might say wasted, a huge amount of time watching scores and scores of "films" shot on various BMC, A7s, NX1 and GH4.

Of course the quality of the A7s, NX1 and GH4.is more than enough to tell a story. But I simply can't fall in love with the quality of the image. The depth of the color from those three cams seems to be so shallow, washed out, hanging by a thread. I've compared the quality of series playing on Netflix, many of them, and I can see that some people, not even pros, who are shooting with BMC are able to come very close, if not right on it, to the quality I see in these series that are probably shot on RED or Alexa cams. I really see the BMCs, in the hands of skilled DP, as being in the same family as any RED cams or Alexa. But I simply can't find any footage from A7s, NX1 and GH4 that comes close to make me feel the same. I would love to be convinced to buy a GH4, This is such a much easier cam to use than a BMC but I simply can't?

Can somebody points me to a beautiful shot footage from any of those three cams? I don't seen to be able to find any.
Thanks
L.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can somebody point me to that kind of footage?

Quote:
I've compared the quality of series playing on Netflix, many of them, and I can see that some people, not even pros, who are shooting with BMC are able to come very close, if not right on it, to the quality I see in these series that are probably shot on RED or Alexa cams.
I find it's just the opposite, it's very hard to find footage from a bmc that looks good, the colors often looked washed out and weird and are nothing like what I would see in films shot on Alexa camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I like this one:

gh4

ad this one

gh3

Old November 19th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This one here, shot on a gh3

Old November 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Hum, funny! The first clip gives me exactly the same impression I was describing in my original post. The colors are there, but I don't feel the depth. I'm wondering if too many people know how to grade? To me the washed out feeling might be coming from the fact that, maybe, most people do not start by lowering the black level FIRST, before doing anything else. That's why, I think, the background always looks too bright?

I like the second clip better. I think the environment is better controlled. Amazingly it's shot with the GH3 from what I understand!
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

After watching the third clip, I think my impression is right. I think all those clips have black level that are too high, I mean not black enough and it gives a shallow feeling to the whole frame and picture.
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

To me it looks you already know the answer to your questions yet you keep on going about how wonderful black magic camera's are and how bad in comparison all the rest is in the same price range and you keep on asking for others to prove you wrong, at least, that is all I hear you say in other threads as well. If the BM camera's are so superior to you why not just buy one and start shooting with it?
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Hold on. I've located somebody with a GH4 with the last $ 100 upgrade for the S log or however you called it. Up to now I've never know how people had graded their stuff. I'm going to compare this very soon, shoot the exact same thing with both and will tell you soon.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production