Can a gimbal do fast roll moves? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 4th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Can a gimbal do fast roll moves?

I have a short film I want to shoot, that involves a fight scene, where actors are rolling and flipping, and all that. During some of the flips, I want to be able to roll the camera with them flip.

I noticed that gimbals can roll, and tried watching some tutorials on them. But every time they do the rolls, it's slow. Are gimbals capable of increasing the speed, so they can roll as fast as a person can roll?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can a gimbal do fast roll moves?

You’ll need to build something for example

or mount a tripod head horizontally even on a slider to roll and slide at the same time

You also might need to instead mount the camera to a wheel since you probably need to be ground level

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 4th, 2019 at 10:12 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:07 PM   #3
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I can try building something but the start and stop of it, does not seem the smoothest, but maybe that just takes practice.

Do you think maybe I should just build all my equipment to move the camera? Like for example, I was thinking of getting a gimbal, but should I just make a DIY steadicam rig instead, or are gimbals popular because they can do a better job, than the DYI stuff?
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Tripod head would allow a more controlled roll but would limit the rotation to less than 180 degrees. Like someone said most of this stuff you have to experiment for yourself.

I’ve used both, I’d recommend the electronic gimbal over the steadicam for its ease of use and versatility. The steadicam yields a more natural motion but is exceedingly difficult to operate properly.
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:17 PM   #5
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. That is a limitation with the tripod head that is for sure. I was trying to find out how many degree of a roll the Moza Air 2 could do but cannot find any tutorials on it, that talk about how far it can push a roll, or how fast it can do a roll.

Mainly I want to do the roll, while an actor rolls, and the actors are going to do the rolls as fast as they can.

But can the Moza Air 2 do a full fast roll, and keep up? I was going to invest in a gimbal anyway, for all these others moves I could do for other shots. But would the Moza Air 2 be able to do the rolls as well?
Old February 5th, 2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Gimbals are for slow smooth motion not what I’d imagine the speed you need for fight scene. You could be over thinking it. might be a simple as the camera hand held and the operator rolling on mat along side the actor. Just experiment until you find the right approach. Even if a gimbal isn’t the right tool for this scene you should get one they’re indispensable for cinematic work.
Old February 5th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #7
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, I was most likely going to get one any way for other shots. I don't think they are for slow motion only though, as they seem to perform well with action scenes, such as following actors while running in chase scenes, in the short films I have seen, unless I am wrong.

However, if it is not right for doing fast rolls, what is? I tried doing it handheld, as a test but it looks too handheld, and not good or professional. I think need some sort of stabilized too, that can roll it fast, while keeping it stabilized, if possible.

Actually according to B & H, the Moza Air can do a 360 degree role, but I still can't find what the speed is.
Old February 5th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I meant for this particular action I can’t imagine you’d be able to match the speed and timing of a roll with a gimbal like you would with a tripod head.
Old February 5th, 2019, 11:52 AM   #9
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, I could use a tripod head if that's better, and I looked for one before, but I could not find a tripod head that could do a full 360 degree roll, or at least close to. Is there any?

Plus the roll a tripod head does looks off, cause the anchor point of the roll is not in the middle of the camera, like a gimbal.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production