Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 13th, 2020, 03:09 PM   #481
also known as Ryan Wray

re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

Oh okay, so you think I should not have any cuts then and maybe have the entire thing in one shot? I do actually have one take of the entire thing, it's I felt that certain parts of other takes were better so I wanted to borrow from all three takes, rather than use just one. But is it better to use just one of the entire thing?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 04:06 PM   #482
Inner Circle

You can do that if you've got closer shots of the actions that can be put between the selected parts of each take. However, they need to be fairly consistent in their moves and positioning, depending how much you can see of these actions in the wider shots.

Since you're planning to direct a feature film with action scenes, you should know all this stuff.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 04:11 PM   #483
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well I find this to be very different than directing a feature with action scenes, cause for the feature, you are setting up the shots for emotion, where as here, you they are being done out of fighting move techniques specifically, rather than emotion, if that makes sense. In a feature I don't need to see everything about the fighting moves, I want to see the emotion. So I feel it's a whole new ball game for me, compared to the action scene of a movie.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; January 13th, 2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 13th, 2020, 05:47 PM   #484
Inner Circle

The emotion is the difficult part, this is just the mechanics of a stunt.

Be careful, you may be misjudging the emotion that you're creating,
Old January 13th, 2020, 05:56 PM   #485
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. But I feel that story narrative action is easier for me to decide on that martial arts promotional video action. I think it's because I have thought about fictional narrative more probably.
Old January 14th, 2020, 02:17 AM   #486
Inner Circle

This is mostly illustrative, so it's a matter of getting the participants delivering their lines in a natural manner, that's usually the difficult part o these videos, All the rest should be relatively easy.

Download the selected take onto a laptop and use that as a reference video player., so that the continuity can be matched for the action shots. You can use the angle that makes it look at it's best, if you wish. slow the move down in post and use some of the lines as VO.
Old January 14th, 2020, 02:36 AM   #487
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. I was thinking of slowing the move down in post for VO before though. However, my camera only shoots at 30 frames per second which sucks for slow motion. Should I use try using twixtor maybe then?
Old January 14th, 2020, 02:43 AM   #488
Inner Circle

Use whatever works for you.

Straight slowing down 30 fps in post is the same as step printing in film. it has a look of its own, which been used in a number of films.
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:35 PM   #489
Inner Circle

I wouldn't do slow motion. It feels like you just can't help yourself from meddling with these sorts of things.

Honestly you should be using these jobs to work on your directing. Not to get you off on tangents there are many aspects of this project you could have used your energies on. Like scripting a fun snappy intro. A lot of the better Youtube videos have a format, style, branding leaves you with an impression that its professional production. From what we have seen so far this is an uninspired video where you show up to a room with your camera and press record. If they came to you and said we want you to come up with a plan to create a great promo video for our business tell us what to do.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 14th, 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:38 PM   #490
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I only mentioned slow motion cause it was suggested on here that I slow the movements down if he talks about the possibly. Unless I read that wrong?
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #491
Inner Circle

Slow motion should only be a snappy sting thing, not a Sam Peckinpah job, however, it wouldn't work with the video that you have at the moment, which needs working on style.
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:54 PM   #492
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Well the instructor says he wants to narrate a lot of it with voice over, rather than talk and having do the moves, especially in a location with problematic sound.

So if he does that, I am afraid of perhaps the moves being too quick. So I could slow them down if he needs more time to explain them or I could just free frame them on certain beats that he is talking about, if that's good.
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:58 PM   #493
Inner Circle

Are you making a promo video or an instructional video? It sounds like you're doing the latter.
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:05 PM   #494
also known as Ryan Wray

I am doing what they are asking me to do. He wants to narrate the moves to show off his knowledge and what he can offer, and that is what he wants to do. I know I get to pick the shots and how many takes and all, but he still gets to pick the moves and what he wants to talk about, doesn't he?
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:12 PM   #495
Inner Circle

From the very beginning this sounded like a moving target project where Ryan is letting a client who doesn’t know what he wants take the lead. First he films him free form sparring, then he shows him the footage and he sees it’s not good, and now he told Ryan to try something else. This is what you get when you’re passive.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production